Chapter IV

The routine went on for months, Yingluo secretly helping Ruyi while keeping a close eye on A'ruo. Hai Lan flew a kite to show that she was doing well in any way she could. Despite being kicked out of A'ruo's palace once beaten and bruised while it was raining, she went to Yanxi Ggong, her old and dear second home, still recovering. But she wasn't the only one. Halian had just finished kneeling and was lying in her bed shivering. Ying Luo begged to see Hai Lan and got her to wish, though, at her worst point, she was not crying. "Sister, I can't do this anymore" Hai Lan held the sachet. Ying Luo grabbed the scissors and threw them into Hai Lan's bed, and she gasped. "Aren't you afraid? Once you're dead, no one will harm you again." Ying Luo's point was made clear as a sunny day. Toughen up.

"Ying Luo.."

"Noble Lady Hai. Noble Consort Hui, A'ruo, and the Empress will not stop trying to harm you or me, or mistress. Do you think running to Mistress in the cold palace and hiding here crying will save you? The palace is not a safe harbor. It's a tomb that can be sealed at any time."

"Your right...."

"To get my mistress back, your sister, you must earn favor. I know the past with you and the emperor, but if we are to succeed, you must pick up your weapon and fight. Pretend not to be scared of him. When I was eight, a dog bit my hand. The whole night was painful, but I chased the dog back, hitting it with a bamboo stick. You must become braver and fiercer, be a tigress. The one they're afraid of."

Ying Luo saw something begin to light up in Hai Lan. Both Ruyi and her words made her stronger. Ying Luo gave a small smile and nodded. Her work was done.

The following week, Halian prepared for battle, dolling herself up. And when Ying Luo found out Hai Lan gained favor, she smiled while A'ruo made a sad fuss. "I'm lower than she is if she can serve in bed."

Ying Luo's ears perked up at that conversation. She delivered milk to Imperial concubine Jia's residence and then left. A'ruo didn't even pay attention to her. Her mind raced as she realized what was happening. She was the most favored woman in the inner palace unless... Ying Luo sported a slight grin as she walked out of the gate with two big wooden milk jugs. She wouldn't dare say it out loud, but it was clear as day. The emperor was using A'ruo to one-day clear Ruyi's name. It made sense. Being an imperial concubine and being favored gave a sort of protection. Without it, most will die or languish in their position without family power, which A'ruo didn't have. She relied on favor, a favor that wasn't even true.

Servants whispered as they talked about A'ruo's growing madness. Throwing tea cups at her servants. Ying Luo simply chuckled under her breath. Her suffering wouldn't be in vain. The times when she was made to wash her feet and endure slaps would not be for nothing.

Now to plan.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

The second prince's illness got worse until, eventually, he died. The whole inner palace was in mourning. As she often did, Ying Luo visited Halian when her duties took her near her residence. This morning, Hai Lan continued embroidering like normal, and Ying Luo bowed to her quickly, wearing the typical mourning clothes for a servant. With Hai lan's approval, she rose to her feet, getting to her point quickly. "What did you do?"

Hai Lan looked at Ying Luo, her heart cold. "His mother's sin fell upon him."

Ying Luo sighed, "Lady Hai... I do not harm children. That is one line I will not cross."

"The child was going to die. Even his mother did not pity him, so why should I?" Hai Lan said before Ying Luo could say anything else, "I already visited Sister, and she said the same thing. There was someone who hated the empress more than me." Ying Luo, despite her initial disapproval of Hai Lan's actions sighed-- there was nothing she could do to stop her. Hai lan had become a fierce tiger.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Months passed as fall turned to winter. Ying Luo accompanied Hai Lan for a walk, conversing about their plan to get Ruyi out. Jiaing Yubin had been transferred to the cold palace to help with the strange incidents in the palace, while she was transferred from the workhouse and temporarily assigned to serve Hai Lan. A'ruo wouldn't dare touch her. Ying Luo glanced at who the emperor was talking to. It was that girl...Yanwan.

Ying Luo heard about her from Ling Yuche. She already had bad feelings about this servant. And as the emperor moved away, Hai Lan observed, "Ying Luo, it seems we have a second A'ruo in the palace."

"Yes, we might want to tell Imperial concubine Chun."

Ying Luo snuck to the cold palace in the deep of the night, and with a knock and a bit of string-pulling by the drunk Ling Yuche's, they spoke from the small peaking box. Ruyi smiled at Ying Luo, "Ying Luo"

"Mistress. Sister." Ying Luo called out to Suo Xin. The two held a small moment together, holding hands. "Are you okay?"

"Mistress and I have been okay." Suo Xin rubs Ruyi's hand. "How is Hai Lan?" Ruyi asked Ying Luo,

"She is well. She's earning favor from the emperor. She is not being bullied, and I finally was able to rejoin her. Being back in Yaxni gong is good." After a quick chat and reassurance from Ying Luo, the maid-servant rushed back but she stopped for a moment upon seeing the drunk Ling Yuche. "Guard brother."

"Ah, Ying Luo." His breath stink of whisky as he drank blindly. "I didn't even see you sneaking by."

Ying Luo rolled her eyes, "Speak, come on. I know it's about Sister Yanwan."

Ling Yuche chuckled, "Blunt are you?"

"She chose to seduce the emperor. She chose glory over you. I'd be careful of her if I were you. She seems like she has the heart of a snake."

"Liking someone and then leaving you takes time to get over." The guard had a slight slur to his speech.

Ying Luo sighed, "Don't drink anymore. Or else you'll be a chicken with its head cut off. Let her go, it'll do you some good." Ying Luo headed back to Yaxni gong.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Winter turned into spring, a year that was the perfect time to strike. Yingluo made careful arrangements and finally...Finally, she was ready to strike. Using Hai Lan's pregnancy, they replicated the previous poisonings of Mei and Yi. It was perfect. The child wasn't harmed, but it put just the right amount of suspicion into the emperor's head that someone else was responsible, not Ruyi. And when the attacks on the cold palace happened-the snakes, poison, and the fire-the seeds that Ying Luo had set were ready to sprout.

Ying Luo breathed a sigh of relief when it was announced that Ruyi was to be released, her titles restored, and given quarters in a newly refurbished palace.

But then, something was strange about Hai Lan. She was eating- a lot. Of course, this was not uncommon for a pregnant woman, but Ying Luo had her suspicions. Without a second thought, she brought another doctor she knew, Doctor Ye. And of course, the medicine was making the baby bigger. Ying Luo groaned: once again, another loose end. Her brain was racing, planning every move even as new challenges arose.

But it's all worth it in the end.