Chapter V

Ying Luo covered her mouth, overjoyed at seeing Ruyi free. Her efforts and her calculations were perfect. She bowed with San Bao. "Mistress," Ying Luo managed as she turned and knelt before her.

Ruyi smiled and lifted her hand, "Rise."

Ying Luo didn't usually cry, but she could not hold back her tears now. Ruyi would have languished for three years or even a lifetime in the Cold Place if it wasn't for her pushing things forward from the outside. Once Ruyi walked inside, Ying Luo hugged Suo Xin.

"Sister Ying Luo," Suo Xin sobbed.

"It's good to see you, sister." Ying Luo wiped some tears from her cheek. "You suffered," she said while holding Suo Xin's hand. She nodded as though to herself, then continued speaking. "But you endured. Now that His Majesty opened up the case from that year, A'ruo and whoever instructed her would be in danger."

Suo Xin nodded, "It's good to see you again. Thank you for all your troubles."

A few days later, after Ruyi had met with the Empress Dowager and Hai Lan, Ying Luo finally had time alone with Ruyi, as her position as second head maid had been restored. She bowed to Ruyi, who sat in the sitting room.

Ruyi held her hand and murmured a heartfelt, "Thank you."

Ying Luo nodded, tears threatening to fal:, a year of suffering was finally worth it. "It was nothing, it meant little for me to suffer."

Ruyi rubbed her hand gently, "It doesn't matter, you didn't deserve to endure such suffering. Even on my behalf. Even though we are master and servant, you are my younger sister. I can't bear it..."

Ying Luo kneeled, and Rruyi caressed her face. Ying Luo sniffled as the two shared a moment of reunification. Ruyi knew the look in Ying Luo's eyes. Retribution was coming to those who harmed them. "What do you have in mind?"

"Mistress, A'ruo does not have true favor. His Majesty is buying his time to expose A'ruo. No one in the inner palace respects her, even though she appears to be favored. The rumors around her are vicious. But I don't think the true culprits of the crime will be punished. She will fall soon, but the plotters behind her will evade punishment this time."

"Yes." Ruyi sighed. Disappointment seeped from her voice. Ying Luo gave a gentle rub of reassurance, "Whoever instructed her, the Empress and Noble Consort Hui will not be punished. They are from powerful clans."

"No matter, A'ruo will be punished. Retribution and their guilty minds will expose the truth soon enough. That's an idea for another day. And may I speak boldly, you won't get full justice for this by His Majesty's hand."

Ruyi didn't speak, but she knew it was the truth. If the Gao and Fuca clans are targeted, the emperor will lose his power. It was politics, nothing more, nothing less. "I used to believe when he said 'don't worry', but now I know he cannot truly protect me. The harem will keep attacking me as long as I am in His Majesty's graces."

Ying Luo nodded, "Then we plan to strike back. You made it out of the Cold Palace, that in and of itself is a miracle." Ying Luo also told about what she found about Hai Lan: so far, her pregnancy had been progressive as normal.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

The morning greeting went on as usual as Ying Luo stood behind Ruyi's seat. She tried to mask her anger at A'ruo but knew she was glaring at the concubine all the same. Noble Lady 'Shen' was talking crass again. Even after a year and being promoted to the rank of noble lady, she still was the same old fool. Though Ruyi never met A'ruo's gaze, Ying Luo did. A'ruo subtly glared back at Ying Luo.

Imperial Concubine Jia spoke, "Though Noble Lady Shen used to serve Consort Xian, it's different now. With His Majesty's favor, she is reprimanding her servants in her quarters. She even took Consort Xian's maid and reprimanded and taught her for days on end. She really does get what she wants in the end."