Chapter IX

The days went by slowly. She now was a noble lady with the Emperor's favor. Serving was unpleasant; she viewed it as a particularly annoying chore. Now all she was doing was sitting pretty, not a role she was used to but manageable. Ruyi, Hai Lan, Yihuan and herself were sitting at a table discussing the latest events.

"The royal court and the harem are once more as one. Concubine Jia's promotion was in part due to His Majesty paying respect to her maiden clan and to help her greave for the ninth prince."

"Yes," Ying Luo sipped a bit of her tea, "That was probably the only reasons as she is not favored." She had been secretly taking birth control. She feared the danger of childbirth and, moreover, did not want to conceive from that man unless she needed a child. She had also found out that Concubine Shu, Yihuan was taking birth control that was hidden as fertility medicine -- Ming Yu, now acting as her primary informant, was just as smart as her and got the information quickly. Ying Luo would rather not start a mess at this moment, especially since she had come to like Yihuan. A bit on the naive, heart-eyed side, however, she was another one of the Son of Heaven's victims, yet another display of his all-encompassing self-centeredness.

Yihuan sighed, putting down her tea cup, "I only wish to receive His Majesty's sincerity. Little sister, you are lucky,"

Ying Luo had her comment but kept it to herself, but she only smiled, "Thank you, Big sister."

A servant came in and introduced Concubine Min, and here came Yanwan.

Ying Luo got and bowed a small greeting, "Greetings to Imperial Concubine Min."

Yanwan did her own greetings. "Noble Lady Wei," she said with a polite smile.

Ying Luo kept her expression neutral. She very much disliked Yanwan, but one must show dislike in a different way in the Inner Palace. -The two sat down next to each other.

"His Majesty prompted the Jin clan women to concubine. She committed such a great crime, she doesn't deserve to claim her title," Yanwan whined.

Ying Luo hummed, "And you're saying His Majesty's judgment is not clear, Concubine Min?"

Yanwan gasped a bit, "That's not what I meant! She disrespected Her Highness Imperial Consort Xian.."

"Yes, indeed she did, but if His Majesty deemed it such fitting for her to earn that title, then we have no right to comment. Why are you worried and panicky, as if you have ill will to Imperial Concubine Jia?"

Yanwan was so easy to read. Nearly everyone disliked Jia, but they hid it. Ying Luo had yet to meet her in person But, that would wait as she still was in confinement due to framing Ruyi.

Hai Lan hid a smile as she sipped tea.

Yanwan seemed a bit stunned but hid it with a smile, " Little sister is right. Though I am worried she will bully me again. Though we are both concubines, she is a noble daughter of a great clan. She has the assistance of her maiden clan, and she is calculating. She gets whatever she wants, unlike me. I can't even get the child I wish for," she said with a theatrical sigh.

Ying Luo brushed the top of her tea cup, "Life in the palace is a struggle, Imperial concubine Min; the more you complain, the more you waste time. Complaining will only make His Majesty and others annoyed." Ying Luo ignored Yanwan's insistence that they were sisters-it was a transparent attempt to ally herself with Ying Luo to get Ruyi's favor. The whole group was looking at Yanwan like an outsider. Yanwan realized Ying Luo was smarter than she anticipated.

Ruyi gave reassurance to Yihuan about having her own children one day. She let Ying Luo speak to Yanwan herself because clearly she was handling her very well. Yihuan walked away first, saying her goodbyes to ruyi before leaving. Clearly to avoid Yanwan, and the others followed suit.