Chapter I

The emperor ascended to the throne, despite the little hiccups, filial piety blocks regarding Ruyi's title, and her obligation to Gumu's death. The Empress Dowager renamed Qingying to Ruyi. Her title was Consort Xian. Ruyi's palace was far away and near the servant pathways, Yanxi Gong .

After a few months, Hai Lan was rescued from Noble Consort Hui's grip. The new year came, and Ying Luo wore the regular accompanying maid winter attire. Suddenly, A'ruo grabbed Ying Luo's new clothes along with Suo Xin's, dolling herself up with the finery alloted for all three maids. The third maid of Yaxni Gong rolled her eyes, snatching it back.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"Dressing for the new year." A'ruo drawled as she put on a bit of makeup. Before Ying Luo could even utter a word, Suo Xin shook her head. Ying Luo decided to vent her frustration anyway, "We all get our equal share of new clothing. You don't get to hog them."

"Well, I am a dowery maid, aren't I? The clothes are glamorous, you and Suo Xin shouldn't have it..."

Ying Luo stormed off, heading to the main quarters of her mistress. Ruyi was about to wake up and start her routine. Ruyi knew that frown as soon as Ying Luo opened the bed drapes. "Morning, Mistress."

"What's wrong, Ying Luo?"

The maid helped her mistress up from her bed; although she was still angry, her fury softened with Ruyi as she was gentle with her. "Sister A'ruo." Her voice is calm but obviously hiding some anger. Ruyi's gentle demeanor, as ever, calmed Ying Luo's more hot-headed side, like snow melting to create a small puddle.

Ruyi sighed. She knew A'ruo and Ying Luo never respected or cared for each other. They always behaved cordially in front of their mistress, but she hears and observes enough to know that their relationship is far from sororal. She gives a soft smile, "A'ruo personality is just like that, I know she does things covertly."

Ying Luo's lips thin, "Mistress, I fear her covertness and boastfulness may be a danger to you."

"I fear that as well, but A'ruo will learn the ways of the inner palace."

᯽᯽᯽

A'ruo ground ink while Ruyi did calligraphy. Ying Luo came with a cup of tea with a servant holding the tray. Ruyi seems to realize Ying Luo's curiosity; with a small, kind smile, she offers on a separate piece of paper to write her name. Ying Luo bowed quickly.

"Mistress-"

"You're sharp, Ying Luo, let's give it a try, shall we?" Ying Luo looked up at Ruyi's reassuring gesture, and the young maid got up, writing her name sloppily. Globs of ink marred the paper as she struggled to wield the brush. A'ruo's glare was as searing as one could get. Ruyi glanced at the writing, playfully tsking at the writing.

"Mistress forgive me, I wasn't taught calligraphy."

"Well, my task for you is to write one hundred pages of your name characters."

Ying Luo bowed lightly, "Yes!" A'ruo, despite her anger at this, kept herself silent.

᯽᯽᯽

Spring came, and Ying Luo and Suo Xin accompanied her while A'ruo went to rest for the night. Ying Luo kneaded her mistress's legs. It had been three months since the incident with Hai Lan, and as usual, A'ruo was causing problems for her mistress by speaking out of line. The three were talking about how close Ruyi was to his Majesty.

"Did you hear about his Majesty and his birth mother?" Ruyi whispered, leaning close. Ying Luo glanced at Suo Xin, "it's rumored His Majesty's birth mother was a palace girl, Li Jingui from Rege Palace." The timid court girl spoke.