Chapter III

Ying Luo was never surprised by events in the inner palaces. Noble Lady Yi had only just lost her child-all hell was about to break loose. She had her suspicions about the snake, but before she could investigate it, it was too late. Because she had a sneaking suspicion something was up with the food and charcoal. Ruyi was in the mouse trap and couldn't get out. And not even Ying Luo could free her. Nearly all the consorts met in the Empress' Palace, including the Empress, Emperor, and Empress Dowager. Eunuchs came in crying about how Ruyi did evil. Ying Luo never believed them.

And when A'ruo came with her show, it was over dramatic. Crying about the most unrealistic scheme ever. Ying Luo couldn't endure it. She kneels before the Empress, Emperor, and Empress Dowager, not in a rush, "Your Majesties, my mistress would not commit such a crime A'ruo proclaims. If what Huang Hou Niang Niang said about A'ruo not letting her investigate, could it be that A'ruo planted the evidence? A'ruo knows our mistress' scents. It is also odd how three eunuchs- who my mistress barely interacted with- come with such an accusation. Suoxin and I serve her most of the time."

"My mistress was prudent in ensuring Noble Lady Yi's pregnancy would go smoothly. And isn't it odd how two of the same symptoms happened back to back? The same red sores that happened to Noble Lady Yi happened to Noble Lady Mei. My Mistress had no control over Noble Lady Mai's food, nor her charcoal. Why is the same thing happening to Noble Lady Yi? A person doesn't commit a crime once, there is a pattern."

A'ruo looked at Ying Luo, almost wanting to kill her. Her only chance at honor was going to be ripped from her. Noble Lady Jia kept a careful poker face but was slightly impressed. Noble Consort Gao was angry, but kept her composure. The Empress also wore an uncomfortable expression.

"Wei Ying Luo, why don't you admit to it? Mistress did it!"

"No. I will not admit to something that wasn't done. May Your Majesty investigate this clearly, as there is someone bigger than my mistress who is responsible." Ying Luo bowed.

"You have no conscience!"

"No, you don't have a conscience." She said calmly, "No loyalty to the one who was gentle and kind to us. Who cared for you and nurtured you. I know how you want His Majesty's attention. Is that why you betrayed our mistress, to gain Huang Shang's favor?"

A'ruo looked forward, screaming as she always did,"I had no such intention! I only wanted to tell the truth!"

"What truth? Huang Shang, Taihuo, my mistress was perfectly content with having no son. It was with your blessing that she was allowed to raise the first prince. Yet, the one who always wanted to raise the first prince was her highness Noble Consort Gao ."

"You!" Noble Consort Gao pointed at Ying Luo, but with the Taihuo's glare, she pulled back. "My Mistress wrote matra's for the second prince with his asthma, she never cursed him and meant well for the child."

On cue, one of the Eunuchs, Xiao Lüzi, killed himself. Ying Luo herself was stunned that he would kill himself by banging his head against the sharp (Edge). Ying Luo quickly regained her composure. Soon other consorts and Suo Xin who were on Ruyi's side were on their knees, saying she would never do it.

The Emperor called out to Ruyi, who stood from her seat and Bowed, shocked and hurt by the betrayal she spoke. " Taihuo , Huang Shang, Huang Hou Niang Niang , I have nothing to say. I only wish for a thorough investigation, I didn't do anything that they said."

"I know." Qianlong said.

The Empress Dowager, despite the Emperor believing Ruyi, demoted her to noble lady and ordered her to be confined. At Yanxi gong, everything was moved out, finery and elaborate things. Ying Luo bowed next to Ruyi, tears flowing, "Mistress, I will never leave you, I will never-"