Prologue

Wei Ying Luo stood beside her mistress, Gege Qingying, as she presented a bowl of pork and chicken soup to the Empress dowager. The former embroidery maid carefully kept her expression neutral, though internally, she winced at this fact. The Empress dowager had her qualms about the Empress, her mistress' Gumu . And therefore had an issue with her, naturally.

"The voice of the guest overwhelms the host." The Empress Dowager's tone was strikingly sharp.

Ying Luo could hear the deadly silence. Now was not the time to protect her mistress, no matter how much she wanted to. Qingying held the bowl of hot soup, "I only wanted to use fresh flavor to open up the Empress dowager's appetite; I never thought of it to disturb you. I am at fault." Ying Luo, a servant, knew the old bat was not pleased with Qingying. The Niohuro Empress dowager went on a not-so-subtle rant that the Ulanara Empress and herself would not be Empress dowagers simultaneously. One must win. All the while, her Mistress's hand burned. Gege Xiyue just piled onto this, adding to the older woman's hate.

Ying Luo stood quiet, still watching her mistress be insulted as she held a bowl of soup. She and Qingying bowed, "I committed a mistake and am willing to receive punishment." It was deadly quiet until the princess consort took the soup and was accepted. Soon, Ruyi could let go of the bowel, her fingers hot and red. The walk back to the prince's manor was quiet.

"Mistress, not to be overly talkative, but was it your intention to use two types of meat in one soup to give to Taihou?" Ying Luo held her mistress's arm as they walked.

Qingying sighed, "Ying Luo..." She was quiet for a while, "I thought that Taihou would spare my Gumu."

"Taihou is ruthless and is not fond of you. I'm afraid whatever we do, it won't help..."

᯽᯽᯽

A'ruo, Qingyings dowry maid, put burn medicine on Qingying. "How did you serve your mistress?"

Ying Luo poured a cup of tea, quelling her fury before she spoke. "I could not protect her even if I wanted to; Taihou would implicate both of us if I did speak."

A'ruo glared at Ying Luo, her tone spiteful, "It is still your fault." She dabbed the medicine on Qingying's burns as she spoke.

Ying Luo glared back, "And what would you have done? Create more problems for our mistress."

"You-" A'ruo began. Unable to argue with Ying Luo's explanation, she barked: "Go outside and reflect on your actions."

Ying Luo glared, her eyes locking briefly with A'ruo's before bowing slightly and walking out quietly. The servant could hear the conversation outside. Qingying was firm but not reprimanding the treatment of Ying Luo. The servant realized quickly that A'ruo was a bully just because she was a dowry maid and head maid. She never thought before she spoke, foolish and untimely. Even Ying Luo, despite being bold, knew to retreat when the situation needed her to. Suo Xin quickly hurried to do her chores, coming across Ying Luo.

"Ying Luo, what are you doing?" Suo Xin questioned.

"Reflecting on my actions as A'ruo instructed me to." Ying Luo almost rolled her eyes; her voice gained a pouty ring. The sweeter maidservant sighed, "You know how she is; why would you provoke her?"

"She's a bully, and she acts unruly." Ying Luo follows Suo Xin as they continue their chores. "Someone needs to remind her she's just a maid, like you and me, no matter how good of a status a dowry maid is. Sooner or later, she will be too much of a problem."

"But, Mistress can discipline her if needed." Suo Xin said, reprimanding her fellow sister playfully. Ying Luo playfully poked Suo Xin's noise, teasing her gently. Gaining a smile from the other maid, "So soft and quiet. No wonder why your mistress likes you."

The two maids continue, laughing with each other.