Chapter II

Ying Luo knew this was going to happen.

The inner palace was dangerous and not a game one could play carelessly. In a word, one action could be a blessing or a curse. Being careful and skillful in your words is a necessity...

A'ruo never learned that.

Ying Luo knew that Ruyi, despite her kind nature, treating her at times as a sister, was still her Mistress . She was not on the same level as Hai Lan-- she was still a servant.

A'ruo never understood the difference in status with those above her. She always looked at who was below her.

Ying Luo was quiet, not even defending A'ruo as she was slapped on the mouth repeatedly, begging for mercy. But of course, Ruyi was always merciful and tried to defend A'ruo. Ying Luo wouldn't dare question her, but this was the one moment when she wanted to. A'ruo deserved this. She needed to be taught a lesson, not to speak so carelessly.

Noble Consort did not harvest her life. She was instead made to kneel by the cricket gate for six hours in the rain. And of course, her mistress was punished by writing Buddhist scripture a hundred times.

The rain was harsh. Inside, Ying Luo ground the ink, as Ruyi placed everything together. "I knew this was going to happen."

"I told her many times to watch her tongue, and she won't listen. Words are not forgiving." Ruyi sighed, "What am I going to do with her, Ying Luo?"

Ying Luo, for the first time, had no answer for Ruyi

Four hours later, A'ruo was running back into Yanxi Gong. She was well taken care of, even Ying Luo helped her by feeding ginger soup. A'ruo looked at Ying Luo, stunned by this simple kindness. "I hope you learned your lesson."

Ying Luo watched as Ruyi took care of A'ruo, reprimanding her but also gently taking care of her. Yet, Ying Luo couldn't shake the feeling of impending trouble. A'ruo's words rang in her ear a bit wrong . It almost sounded a bit odd.

Three days after A'ruo was healed, Ying Luo went to confront her. "A'ruo, despite our dislike for each other, you wouldn't betray the Mistress, would you?"

A'ruo expression was flat, she raised her hand, "I swear it, I won't betray our mistress. By the heavens, my family will be struck down and I will never reincarnate."

Ying Luo kept her emotions in check, warning the dowery maid, "Do not swear something you most likely can't keep."

᯽᯽᯽

Ying Luo noticed something about Noble Lady Mei: her upper lip was covered with little red sores. Her eyebrow arched, suspicion filling her heart again.

And when she and Ruyi visited her palace along with Imperial Concubine Chun, and Hai Lan, Ying Luo couldn't help but to be suspicious of the food, not just the pregnancy symptoms.

When they left, Ying Luo aired her thoughts, making sure they were back and away from A'ruo. Not trusting her one bit anymore. "I don't think Noble Lady Mei has a difficult pregnancy, it's bizarre...the sores, I believe it's the food."

"What?" Ruyi leaned in close. Ying Luo nodded, "It feels odd."

Ruyi hummed, thinking of what to do next.

᯽᯽᯽

Winter came quickly. The news spread fast about Noble Lady Mei's child dying at its first cry. Then a rumor about how the baby was a deformed thing. Ying Luo knew a little but knew those sores were caused by whatever had killed the little prince. And the way that A'ruo was acting was too unusual.

Ying Luo couldn't keep all her eyes on her because of the plans of freeing Lixian from her abusive, tortuous marriage and clearing Ruyi's name of the rumors, working alongside Li Yu. They decided to get rid of two birds with one stone. Wang Qin got overly drunk and Ying Luo's trap was laid out perfectly thanks to Li Yu and Lixian help.

Though she didn't see the fruits of her labor blossom in real time, it was well worth it. Ruyi was freed and her name cleared of the rumor, and Lixian's marriage was annulled. And Li Yu became the head eunuch. Wang Qin was executed the next day.

Ying Luo was doing simple tasks, smiling happily. Ruyi turned to her, still playing go. "What are you happy about today?," Ruyi asked.

"That everything worked out perfectly with our plan, Mistress." Ying Luo swept the chair, "But of course, most of it was yours, mistress."

Ruyi chuckled, "Don't sell yourself short, Ying Luo. Your intelligence saved the day."

Months later, a new pregnancy, a new woman, noble lady Yi. After a snake incident, which alarmed Ying Luo, Yanxi palace was now Noble Lady Yi's residence....

Ying Luo couldn't shake the feeling of disaster. Why her mistress and not someone higher, like Noble Consort Hui? Or even the Empress' Palace? Even though the second prince has asthma, his wellbeing was still the duty of the Empress. Her food and charcoal was checked. Everything was checked.

Her eyes gazed at A'ruo, who was working. Although she was not by Ruyi's side as much, it was still off. And the rumor of fish being good for the baby, when all Mei ate was fish...and her baby died.

Ying Luo, though no doctor, knew this was not adding up. Too much internal heat? That didn't even make sense. Ruyi was so careful, even she was careful, but only the heavens knew why that wasn't enough when three massive powers were against them.

᯽᯽᯽

Ying Luo ground the ink while Ruyi was teaching the first prince. A smile on her face, as Ruyi secretly let her learn as well. Soon a maid ran in, kneeling, "Your Highness Consort Xian! Your Highness! Noble Lady Yi is bleeding!"

Ying Luo never could have witnessed such a perfectly planned tragedy. Every detail, every one of her suspicions borne out.