chapter 47

Violet scowled as they approached the Jones manor, seeing a small group of Davies agency members standing on the lawn. They wore distinct uniforms decorated in silver and a horrendously bright green.

"Are they here to work or direct traffic?" George mumbled under his breath.

The group consisted of three individuals. Angela Chamberlain, Violet's ex. Timothy, Violet's former team member, and Charles Davies, Sam's younger brother. Charles was just as much of a dick as Sam, if not worse.

They stopped just a few feet away from the group. Violet had her arms crossed and a look of permanent annoyance on her face as she chewed on a piece of gum.

Charles looked her up and down, "Well, well, well. When Angie said you were gonna be here, I thought she was joking. I just couldn't believe that any good reputable agency would want to take someone like you in. Guess Lockwood & Co really is just an agency full of strays and charity cases. Pathetic."

Violet blatantly ignored him and turned to look at Timothy, "Either of the owners show up yet, Tim?"

Timothy stood up straight, twiddling his thumbs nervously, "Uh, no. No, not yet."

"We've been waiting here for over an hour already," Angela added, her hands on her hips.

Charles became red in the face when he realized no one was listening to him and immediately stepped right in front of Violet, staring her down with his crooked nose turned up, "You've still got to pay for what you did to my brother, bitch."

Violet was quick to put her hand in front of his face, "I don't care. Get out of my face before you end up just like him."

She sounded harsh, but she was really trying to keep the three vicious guard dogs behind her from pouncing. Lockwood and Lucy would probably be the most likely to get physically violent, but she couldn't count George out either. He looked pretty pissed off.

Charles opened up his mouth and Violet pushed his face back with her hand, "Seriously? If you don't shut the fuck up, I will hit you so damn hard that you'll fly right back into your mother's vagina. Back it up."

Charles took a step back, his face showing pure disgust, "You-"

Angela sighed, "Still as crude as always, Vivi. But really, Charlie, shut up. You're annoying."

Violet stood herself right by Angela and Timothy as they began to chat all in calm, almost monotone, voices. They were mostly just talking about the owners and how both of them approached each agency.

Lockwood, meanwhile, was standing on the side with his arms crossed, looking very much so like a pouting child. Angela and Violet seemed to be getting along just fine and the dark-haired girl was standing herself just a bit too close to Violet.

Lucy and George both stared at him in barely concealed amusement.

"Careful, Lockwood, Angela might steal your girl and your job," George taunted.

"Yeah, look at them. Two peas in a pod over there. Adorable," Lucy added.

Lockwood glared at them, "You two are horrible friends."

Neither of them took it to heart as they knew he didn't mean it. But it did make it even more funny to watch as Lockwood walked right over and stood himself between Violet and Angela. Violet gave him an odd look, not understanding why he looked so bothered all of a sudden.

"What do you guys know about the case or the manor?" Lockwood asked.

Charles scoffed, "Why the hell would we tell you guys anything? You're the competition."