Chapter 17

They approached the building and stopped just out of sight.

Lucy looked over the building, "We'll never get in there. Let's come back first thing. You can pretend to be a customer-"

Lockwood ignored her and tugged Violet along, "Let's go down the side."

"Maybe Lucy should wait outside," Violet suggested, "That way if anything happens, she can get help."

Lockwood rolled his eyes light-heartedly, "We'll be fine. And we need Lucy's listening to help find the glass. I trust your senses well enough, but this place will be full of stolen relics and there's no guarantee you'll be able to pick it out on your own. Lucy comes with us."

Violet gave Lucy an apologetic look as they approached the locked side door. Lockwood stopped just in front of the door where there was a lock on it that could be picked.

"That's more like it. I'll take this one," Lockwood smirked, taking out something to help.

Violet hugged her arms around herself, "Never should've taught you how to pick a lock."

"Yes, thank you for such a useful skill, Vi."

Lockwood eventually got the door open and the three of them slipped inside, quietly shutting the door behind them. Violet was immediately able to feel the presence of the relics in the room. It wasn't exactly suffocating her, but it made it harder to breathe.

"I don't like this," Lucy commented.

"Can you hear the mirror?" Lockwood asked.

Lucy shook her head, "There's too many sounds. Like the airways are jammed with signals."

"What about you, Vi? Anything."

"Everything. This place is packed, Lock. Sorry, but it might take me longer than 10 seconds to pick it out, darling," Violet huffed.

Lucy stopped and approached one of the shelves that had a long box on it, opening it up to reveal a dirty old teddy bear inside.

Violet whipped around when she felt the energy, "Luce, what are you doing?"

"They're relics. Still got psychic charge. Bad history hanging about," Lucy said.

"Come on," Lockwood moved them along, "Let's get further in. See if you guys can hear it or sense it."

Violet slid her fingers along the shelves, trying to pick out the strong and intense energy from the mirror, but she wasn't getting anything. It was hard to feel out something specific. Listening was a much better skill for that.

Lockwood held his hand out to stop them, "Wait. Wait. Is that it?"

"No. No, that's something living. We should go. Or hide," Lucy took a step back, grabbing onto Violet's arm.

"You're right. It sounds mechanical. There's no footsteps. If anyone comes, hide."

Violet reached out to grab for his sleeve but he was already too far forward and approaching the opening to the next room where the noise was coming from. Suddenly, the figure of a small boy stepped into view and Lucy dragged Violet back to hide beneath a tarp behind some cabinets.

Violet peered out just enough to see what was going on, but not enough to be in view. Lucy had a tight grip on her hand as she watched as well.

"Hello," Lockwood greeted the boy, "I'm here because i've lost something. Do you think you could help me find it, please? It's a mirror. A very special mirror. It makes a buzzing sound. Like a bee. Have you heard it round here? Do you think you could show me?"