Helen Keller - The Blind lady

An Empowered Woman

Series 02|Helen Keller -The Blind lady

So, now we are going to read about a blind lady. A blind lady? Yes.

Can a blind and a deaf lady also play role in women empowernment? There must be several questions popping in your mind that a blind lady and women empowernment? What's the connection between two?

I am going to discuss about Helen Keller - a blind and deaf lady and her role in women empowernment.

Helen Adams Keller was born in Tuscumbia Alabama, USA in the year 1880. She was an political activist, disability rights advocate, lecturer and author. She was one of the remarkable lady and she was an absolute lover of nature. She became deaf and blind at the age of nineteen months. She is one of the famous authoress in English language.

D

isease:

The rumours were it that that she lost her sight and got permanent hearing loss because of Scarlet fever.

"Three days to see" is one of her famous writing, in which she briefly described that what she will like to see if some miracle happen and if  she was given the use of eyes even only for 3 days.

Three days to see describes how Helen Keller noticed that blind people can see better than those who can see.

In one of the paragraph in her writings, she described that one of her friend (who wasn't blind) came after long walk in the woods, and she asked her friend what she had noticed during the walk. Her friend replied, "Nothing in particular."

At which she replied in the paragraph, "I would not have believed her if I had been not accustomed to such replies." Adding further, she shared her observation that people who can see, sees so little.

The reply she give after hearing the answer of her friend wasn't to show that Hellen Keller thought that the world was not worthy place to see, but to share her observation that she noticed people who are blind see so little.

In this writing, she has explained that how she touches the things and imagines their beauty - also what would she do each day if she will be given the use of eyes for three days.

Helen Keller is arguably Perkins’ most famous student, with her teacher Anne Sullivan a close second. The story of the little girl who was deafblind and learned to communicate when her teacher spelled “water” into her hand was made famous by the movie “The Miracle Worker.”  article published by Perkins org.

Achievements

Helen keller at her graduation in Rad-Cliffe College in 1905

She graduated from Rad-Cliffe college and became first blind-deaf lady who got the degree of bachelors of Arts in the United States.

• She co-founded Helen Keller international in 1915.

• She was the founder of American Civil Liberty Union, in addition to being a member of Socialist party.

• She was given several awards such as Presidential Medal Of Freedom - the highest civilian award of the United States and Legion Of Honor.

• She was nominated for Noble prize in 1953.

• She was a leading member for American Foundation for blind.

• She was a world renowned speaker.

• She was one of the influential personalities in 20th century.

Helen Keller, being a woman and adding to it, being a deaf, blind and being a woman, art and becoming an author has no boundaries. You can be author and anything even if you're blind and deaf, if there's a will, there's a way.

She proved that art, or anykind of profession is it, there's no boundaries, whether you are blind deaf or you have any other kind of disability.