What A Mother Does?

Start from the beginning

"You fainted, probably just a whole lot of stress with Lizzie and your friend gone, then you find a trio of men which one might possibly be your father. How long have you been awake dear?" I ask taking a seat close to her.

"Long enough to realize that my own father doesn't want me." She chuckles.

"Are you distraught by the fact he doesn't?" I ask but she only smiles and shakes her head.

"I'm better off with only you."

Something about the things she says always leads me to a thought, what is it that she has been trying to point out?

I don't want to lose you.

I'm happy that you're with me.

I'm already content that you're here.

It almost feels like a warning, like some sort of goodbye she has been meaning to tell me yet she can't because something is holding her back.

"Honey, is there something you'd like to tell me?" Her eyes widen yet she looks away. "No, nothing. Why would there be?" She laughs it off like it surely is nothing.

"Nothing bothering you at all?"

"Nothing."

"I feel so lightheaded, almost like I'm gonna throw up." Her face immediately turns grotesque, a sign to run her to the bathroom.

Grabbing her wrist as we both sprinted to the sink, Therese lets it all out. My hand casually rubs her back as she issues awful groans.

"Do you want me to call a doctor? This seems bad." I tell her as she ducks to take another round.

"No, no, all good. Felt better that I let it all out." I held her hair up when again her head dived back into the sink.

"Are you sure? Therese?" I tell her sternly although the seriousness in my voice only made her giggle.

"Yes, Mommy. I'm fine." Therese sarcastically answers adding a constant flutter of her eyes. Her knees melted to the bathroom floor as she weakens.

Casually rolling my eyes, I fetch a glass of water near her nightstand leaving her to for a couple of seconds, handing her the water I decide to sit next to her.

"You're all grown up, it kind of hurts to think in a blink of an eye I'd be holding a glass of tequila as Anne takes me to the dance floor on your wedding day." Therese only laughs at my words, my hand slides to her hip as I pull her closer to me.

"I'm not really sure if I want to get married, haven't even fallen in love for Christ's sake."

"You're just saying that now, love is something, you have to realize that. The enigma it holds, you'll never know what you'll do for that certain person."

"I already found the person I'll love endlessly, She always does her very best to be the very best." She looks up at me and beams, those brown eyes gleam heavenly.

"Keep that smile on, you always looked better with it." Just like always, her head falls unto my chest.

"Mom, you asked if there was something that bothered me?" I turn my head as I listen to her enchanting voice. "Yes? What about it?"

"You remember Mrs.William's daughter? I've told you she was my best friend. Can I see her?" I gulp intensely as I battle inside me.

I no longer want to expose Therese to her gruesome past, I don't want her to be reminded of the memories she dreads, I despise seeing her suffer every night, The trauma she has been carrying is enough, no more of it.