Chapter 6: Bridges

Começar do início

"I always forget just how much that stuff stings when it's applied. Let me tell you something, it doesn't feel good." Riley sighs. "Thanks again for the offer of acupuncture. Though, it's probably harder to do with my thin arms and legs."

Mantis moves to check one of the needles behind Riley's shoulder, tapping it as he speaks. "Who am I to judge a warrior based on his size? I mean... look at me."

Riley sighs at this as he starts to talk again, "Shifu may be able to make himself sound really inspiring and all, but that doesn't matter when I know he's trying everything he can to get rid of me." he says with annoyance. "If he thinks he's going to out-grudge me, then he doesn't know who he's messing with."

"I would defend Master Shifu in this situation, but I do think he's being a bit harsh with you." Viper says, as Mantis jabs a needle into Riley's back and causes him to flinch.

"I agree. You managed to actually counter some of my attacks, and then even after everything today you still managed to land a few hits on Master Shifu. I agree with what Crane said earlier, things like that have to amount to something, at least." Mantis voiced his opinion from behind Riley.

Riley smiles slightly at the two's words. "Thanks. It's nice knowing that at least you four don't entirely hate me."

Viper's expression became curious. "Say, Riley; were you serious about why you won't call him 'Master'?"

Riley gave a nod. "I was. The way I look at things is simple: people should always treat others with respect, but should they continue to refuse reciprocating that respect, then treat them the same way. It's like trust, it's a two-way relationship. Though...that isn't the only reason."

Mantis peeks over Riley's shoulder. "So, what's the other reason?"

"My people like to call our teachers 'Sensei' instead. It does have the same meaning, but the term 'Master' can also be applied to...other things." Riley said cryptically.

The meaning seemed to click with the two after a few moments, as they realized what he was referring to.

"Ohhhh..." Viper said.

"That's...reasonable." Mantis admitted.

"But that last one doesn't really make an effect on my thoughts on Shifu. If he starts treating me with the respect every decent person deserves, then I might stop being such a pain for him to deal with, might. He won't get me to quit, and it's his fault for making me mad at him; my anger tends to make me even more determined to do something."

"What about earlier with Crane?" Viper asked.

"I'm stubborn, not an idiot. I knew I didn't stand a chance, so I wasn't going to waste his time with the inevitable 'spar' that would've occurred." Riley points out, with air quotes.

Viper and Mantis look at each other before shrugging in agreement.

Mantis jumps over and onto his back with another needle.

"Look, I know he can seem kind of heartless...but, you know, he wasn't always like that." Mantis finished.

Riley raises a brow in doubtful curiosity at this.

Outside, Tigress is walking down the hallway when she overhears them talking. She stops outside their door.

Viper picks up where Mantis left off.

"According to legend, there was once a time when Master Shifu actually used to smile." Viper states.

"Sorry, but I don't think he even knows the definition of 'smile' unless it's a smug one." Riley responds flatly.