Chapter II

A week later

The slow buzz of a phone rung in the space. I was darting around the room, walking in circles like a lost puppy. My eyes were wide and shocked as I moved silently with my back straightened out and my fingers wiggling, flexing each finger before curling them back into a fist. I repeated this motion for another 10 times. I held the phone tightly to my ear with my right hand, knowing full well that I will regret this but I knew it had to be done.

Suddenly, the sound of the receiver clicked as I was introduced to a low deep voice, one that sounded stressed and moody. Tired and unstable.

"Hello [Y/N]. What do you need? I'm quite busy with my work currently." He spoke, with a hint of annoyance. He was always busy as usual with his work, not much had changed with him, except how he became more and more intolerable.

"Hi... Jotaro." I started, biting my lower lip with embarrassment of having to call him at such a time. It was 12AM, and I was meant to sleep ages ago but due to this issue, sleep had to be kept to another time. "I have a problem right now, and it involves Jolyne."

There was no gasp. There was no scowl. There was no sigh. There were no questions. There was just silence, daunting the line. I breathed deeply before beginning again.

"Jolyne found herself in a fight between some thugs who had apparently 'pissed her off', which led to her being brutally beaten up and sent to hospital. I'm at my house right now, but I really need you here because she isn't doing so well right now, and she's suffering Jotaro." I take a painful, sharp inhale, holding back a few tears. "Please. We need you here. Work can come another time. Jolyne needs her father right now."

The line was still silent, my fingernails begin to dig into my palm before opening my hand again and repeating the action. Abruptly, I heard the deep sigh of the nuisance.

"Very well." He murmured, I could hear his faint groan. "I'm currently in Canada right now, so I will arrive in two or three days. I won't be able to stay for long as I need to get back to this important work... but I promise I'm coming over to Florida."

With that, he hung up. Not another word was issued after that. I listened to the buzz of the hung up phone, before I ended the call as well. I sat on the edge of my bed, digging my head into my hands as my fingernails dug deep into my scalp.

I screamed. I raged. I shouted. I shrieked. Words began to flood out my mouth like "Horrible man!" "Fucking ex-husband!" "Asshole!". If he was here in Jolyne's life, acting as her father then none of this would've happened. Jolyne would of had a father figure who could help keep her in check to make sure she doesn't get involved in fights. Yet, he left me. He divorced me, and left me to raise a child all on my own. All from scratch. Yes, I had child support from him to help me out, with his money going towards Jolyne's future. Yet this man, this disgusting pig, left me at my worst... and for what? His work?

I begun to calm down, wiping a few tears forming in my eyes as I crossed my legs and rested my hands against my knees. I breathed deeply in, holding my breath, and breathing deeply out. The emotions had stopped overwhelming me now, with the help of these breathing exercises my councillor had given after I vented about my whole marriage ordeal. She was an amazing woman, one who understood my emotions and could sympathise well with me without looking down and laughing at me.

DING!

I looked down at my phone, finding a notification clearly presented on the lock-screen. I peered down, squinting my eyes before giving up and picking up the phone to read the text message.

Kat : Hey [Y/N], I just heard about Jolyne... I'm so sorry that some group of people could do that to a girl. :( I hope you're doing alright, and the doors to my house are always open for you. Give me text when you're free to meet up for some coffee sometime.
Much love - Kat xoxo

P.S. Pickles can not stop licking my ankle whilst I'm typing this!!!!

I laugh at my best friend's response, leaving my fingers to type away a response:

Me : Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it, and it would be lovely to meet you up some time for some coffee. Unfortunately, it'll have to be in a few weeks time as I'm going to go see Jolyne in hospital in the morning and Jotaro is coming to Florida in 2-3 days time.
- [Y/N] xxx

I send the message, putting my phone down for a second until I quickly pick it back up after hearing another notification.

Kat : Jotaro!? My goodness, I hope that goes alright. If he upsets you, call me, I'll fight his ass for you any day! But, don't blame me if you end up also having to visit me in hospital hahaha. Jokes aside, stay safe and I hope Jolyne recovers a quickly.
- Kat xoxoxoxoxoxo

I smile softly, chuckling at my friend's humour and giving her message a little heart before I set down my phone. It was late, turning into 12:27AM now.

I tucked myself in bed, wrapping the sheets around my body as I felt the warmth. Yet, it still felt cold and empty. Especially knowing that Jolyne was in a hospital bed right now made me shake, as I cried in bed. I was a mother after all, and I had a reason to cry for the safety of my own child.

She meant everything to me.

════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════

Hello! I'm so sorry I haven't posted another chapter since ages. I've been so busy with all the stress of my upcoming exams, and have been procrastinating way too much.

However, I hope you enjoy this little introduction for Jotaro into the sequel! I can't wait to continue this book.