Part 15 - Traveling Light

The trip to Brazil was long despite Marcel having found flights with only a 4 hour layover in Lisbon. By the time they were flying over the ocean, Teresa's exhaustion had taken over and she had fallen asleep. Her mind jostled around and showed her images of her Queenpin years when she had been striving for the top in an effort to feel secure and safe. She dreamt of people she had lost and people she had given up. She saw and heard George trying to convince her that she was talking enormous risks with the Russians, then she saw and heard Little T arguing that in school she wouldn't get the things Teresa had: power, money, respect. The things that had seemed important then!

Her sleep was tormented by the knowledge that she was once again going on a dangerous mission herself, that she had sent her family to the other end of the world on a mission no less treacherous, all in an effort to feel redeemed. She could hear Pote's accusatory voice talking about him caring for 'her' children's futures, and her mind showed her vivid pictures of her daughter waving at her as she had boarded a plane with Kelly Anne just a few days ago. Had she seen her child for the last time? What kind of dark thoughts were these? Her mind screamed and she woke up to realize that some turbulence had actually awakened her.

Marcel was watching a movie and took off his earphones the moment he saw she was awake.

"I just got juice and some cookies. Want some?" he offered.

Teresa nodded, sat up and helped herself. She had not spoken to him about the 'danger' of the trip and as they were landing in just a few hours, she decided to do it now.

"I was told there were some pretty dangerous situations in London." She said and waited.

"Yeah...It's a huge city...with a lot of folks working for Lancaster!" Marcel's response seemed like he wasn't happy to talk details.

"Besides Chicho getting the bike to fall on top of him....ahh...what else happened?" She ventured trying to stick to the humorous tone.

"Your son loved the fish and chips...they were....amazing!" Marcel smiled, but she wasn't sure it was a genuine smile.

Teresa wrinkled her forehead: "Stop it, Marcel!"

"You would have loved the food!" he pointed out.

"I actually....hate fast food, especially fried...it's for lazy people who don't know how to cook!" Teresa picked up the teaser herself.

Now Marvel smiled for real: "Creole cuisine has a lot of fried dishes!"

Teresa returned the smile: "Does it?" Then she added: "What else happened in London? Am I to expect the same here...after the car bomb in Tel Aviv?"

Marcel sighed deeply and said with a serious face: "I don't know. That's why I was surprised James didn't join us but opted to go to Goa."

"I convinced him that you grew up a gangster in NOLA and are fully capable of protecting both of us...keeping in mind that I shoot and fight very well myself!" Teresa was very serious, and Marcel got the message.

"I would guess ...complements of your sniper and fighter trained ...husband!" he asked.

"Hmm", she nodded. "Let's talk about a plan...Who do we approach first and ...how do we keep a low profile?"

Marcel drank his juice, adjusted his seat and turned to her: " Sure...but before we do that...do you think you'll find a job for me...in your venture cap ...if this story is the end of my business?"

She couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but she waived her hand and said: "I'd like to believe it won't come to that!"

===