Part 13 - Old Habits Die Hard

James had insisted they stayed at a hotel because even Avi's large house could not accommodate all of them. Once they entered the hotel lobby around midnight, Chicho got a call and was surprised to find out their secretary hadn't been able to reach Marcel, who was standing a few feet away describing to Teresa how he had discovered they had been tagged.

Chicho listened, his face going grimmer and grimmer. Then he hung up and after they determined that Marcel's phone was dead, Chicho said without preamble: "The investigator we sent to Fortaleza had not made contact in three days...but the more serious news is that the one we sent to Goa had been found in his hotel room shot in the head. The police had confirmed his identity and called his family in New Orleans!"

The news crapped the mood as they all headed to their rooms deciding that they would come up with an action plan the next day. Chicho had started texting on his phone and was getting visibly upset as there seemed to be no answer.

James touched his shoulder briefly: "Leave it for tomorrow! Samara found out Lancaster's family owns a fertilizer manufacturing facility here...and once we check it, we'll make a plan on how to proceed."

"Why isn't she replying?" Chicho was making an effort to control himself.

"She might be busy...or might have gone to bed....", James had figured out Anat Moshe was Chicho's friend with benefits, but as she was a Mossad field agent, she did not give the impression of a woman who stood by her phone waiting for a man to contact her.

They headed down to the bar for another drink. James suggested it as he was certain Chicho needed to talk.

"I'm tired of these setbacks!", he huffed. "If both investigators are dead...this means Lancaster is onto us! Let me see if the lawyer in Bangkok will answer!" and he took up the cell again and started texting again. Once he finished, he took a large gulp of his whisky and said: "My leg and back are still very sore from the bike fall...pinche luck..."

"Could've been worse!" James noted.

"You know what I need...I need a break from this shitshow...like a massage break...I saw the hotel spa last night...they offer Thai massage...I'm gonna get one...You ever tried it?"

James frowned and drank rolling his eyes, to which Chicho said: "It's a great experience, man!"

James shrugged and smiled shaking his head.

Chicho went on: "The masseuse... sliding her body over yours... gets you up, no questions asked!"

James laughed softly and shook his head again.

Chicho looked at him funny: "What?... I need it!"

"If you say so...", James said trying not to laugh.

Then Chicho got a somber face and mumbled: "After my life fell apart... I don't deprive myself from any possible turn-ons!"

James exhaled and the smile was gone from his face: "Sorry to hear your wife left you!"

"She took away my son too, puta madre!" Chicho finished the drink and looked in the direction of the bar.

"Why? Why did she leave?" James had worked with this man only a few short months, but he had genuinely liked him.

Chicho was avoiding his eyes: "I don't know...maybe because I wasn't there often enough... or because I didn't fuck her good enough...who knows...cheating bitch!" and he got up and went to the bar for another drink.

"You're bitter", James said after Chicho, glass full, sat down again: "I know the feeling...but trust me man, feeding your anger doesn't help!"

"I don't know what helps then!" Chicho shook his head: "Your life might have worked fine... but...." The sparkle of the alcohol was back in his eyes: "If you let go...for an hour... and come with me to this massage... I bet you you'll get it up like you're 20!"