Part 1 - The Meet

Teresa had kept her wits about her when James had gone to jail for the murder of a man who had attacked his nephew and son, but a few months after his release, all the stress had taken its toll on her and she had started to lose her sleep and to feel anxious with no particular reason.

She had admitted that Kelly Anne's tough recovery after the kidney donation, which had ensured James's release, had not made matters easier as it had been a constant reminder of what had befallen them. However, Kelly Anne was doing great and Teresa could not fool herself that she didn't have mental issues to deal with, that were her own and no one else's.

She even admitted to herself that taking up guns with Pote and getting into a shootout to eliminate certain threats had shaken her to her core as she had bid this Life farewell long time ago.

James had noticed her anxiousness as it had shown in her communication with everyone and had suggested that they go on 'that vacation to Paris' that she had been dreaming about for years now. However, Paris was a few hours away by plane from the Swiss Alps and there had been no way not to take Tony and Suzie with them as they wanted to try skiing and had also been waiting for 'their vacation' as Suzie often said.

Jorge Valdez, also known as George, had refused to join his family on 'any vacation' as he was busy with his tio Pote and their soccer competitions that ensured more than enough travel.

===

The plane was big and almost full. James had bought 1st class tickets because he wanted 'a better service' and because 'he could'. As it was a short flight the cabin sported only bigger and comfier seats, no lie flat seats. The children were disappointed as they had enjoyed those seats on the longer flight from Cape Town.

Teresa, however, didn't care. She hardly ever could fall asleep on a plane. She sat in her plush seat and let her mind wander back to their week in Paris: the visits to all landmarks, the beauty and the romance that hung in the air and was felt even when one had to share it with a teen and his younger sister, who were not interested in cathedrals and palaces, but were counting the days to their skiing adventures. At least the kids had let James and her dine alone and sleep in late as much as they pleased.

Teresa felt a chill come over her. They must have turned the stupid air conditioning again on this plane. Yes, it was late March, but people still boarded with jackets!

"I'm cold", she said: "Maybe I should order a tea!", she said to James who was staring through the window at the mountains below covered in snow and was trying to figure out what was clouds and what was snow.

"We are landing soon... I doubt they'll service you!" he said without looking at her.

"The seat belt sign isn't on yet," Teresa said and hesitated whether to press the flight attendant button.

"Why don't you ...ahh...snuggle over here?" he said turning to her and smiling while his arm went over her shoulders pulling her close into him. Her seat belt was not fastened, and she was able to lean fully into him and actually take a look at the snow covered peaks that they were flying over. Her mind was taken by the breathtaking views underneath.

"I'm excited about seeing snow...truly!", she mumbled: "But I don't know if the jacket I have will be warm enough!" and she looked at him innocently.

"It won't", James smiled: "Knowing you...no jacket will be enough!"

'Well...what can I do? You know how I get cold! It's not like I can help it!" she mumbled, seriously contemplating if she was meant to enjoy any of this particular 'white powder'.

James cleared his throat: "I'm very well aware, dear!" and she felt his arm squeeze her shoulders. He turned to her and took her hand in his, then spread his palm against hers and moved it slowly up and down hers making her exhale and lean on his shoulder even more.

A sideways glance through the window made it clear that they were descending. The seat belt sign came on and the announcement that the landing was 30 minutes out came on.

As the plane was full and the front bathroom had been busy for a while, people from the front rows started slowly moving to the back and suddenly Teresa sensed someone watching her which gave her a very uneasy feeling.

James had suddenly stopped moving his hand against hers and had looked up. Teresa looked at his face and saw it drained of color, then turned and looked up at the man standing in the middle of the aisle. Her mouth opened as her eyes met his.

He was tall and black, and looked as shocked as James and her. His features were tired, but he still looked presentable, clean shaven and well – dressed, she noticed.

The moment was the most awkward one she had had since the time she had found out her long lost boyfriend had not been lost at all.

At this precise moment Suzie's head appeared from the seat behind James and said in a whiny voice: "Mommy, he is messing with my hair, and I can't see the snow...make him stop!"

The sight of James and Suzie side by side had made many people astonished with their resemblance to each other and the black man was no exception. He gaped, then shook his head with incredulity, his eyes wide open.

Teresa awkwardly extricated herself from James's arm and stood up not letting go of his eyes. Her brain was refusing to formulate a sentence.

The last time she had seen him, he had been visibly upset with her despite her best efforts. He had refused having to do anything with her and had accused her of 'prancing around his city like some goddamn Queen of the South'.