Part 22 - Life Is a Box of Chocolates

Langebaan, South Africa

Teresa almost jumped with joy: "I was right, James! He stole from his wife's estate and that's why he got into this scheme...to hide it!"

"Yeah...I see that angle now," James said and swung his legs over their bed and went in the bathroom. They had been back in their house for almost a week now, the jet lag was gone, and the guests were making plans to leave soon.

When he came out Teresa kept smiling at him: "It's my favorite crime show, you know that...and I so enjoy watching it with you...but I have seen the previous episodes a few more times than you and...", she didn't finish as he said:

"And you know the details by heart!". He laughed. The truth was that he enjoyed their watching crime shows together; her head on his shoulder, or their hands competing for the popcorn. Most of all he enjoyed their betting on the outcome because it always amazed him to observe the way her brain worked when solving mysteries.

"What did I win?" Teresa giggled.

"What would you like?" James responded with the same playful tone and got on the bed pulling her to him.

At that moment there was a knock on the door and as they both said 'come in' simultaneously, they both laughed simultaneously. The door swung open and Pote and George walked in.

"What's the matter?" Teresa said as she saw their surly faces.

George exhaled guiltily and tried to speak. Pote nudged his shoulder and the boy finally said: "I screwed up big time!"

Teresa was next to her son in the next second, her hand on his shoulder: "Que paso, querido?" She sounded worried.

"Tell them or I will!" Pote said with a low menacing voice. James's heart fluttered with the recollection that George had some girlfriend he had found out about just as his son mumbled, eyes on his toes: "My girlfriend...was...ahh...pregnant!"

"Que?" Teresa was stunned, Pote looked shocked while James squeezed his eyes, then dragged his hand over his face and said to Pote: "I guess I was late..."

"Que?" This time Teresa turned to James; eyes wide open.

He briefly told Teresa what Tony had told him, how he had asked Pote to talk to George about being careful and how he now felt that he had been late with the needed father - son conversation.

"You're only 15! What were you thinking?" Teresa was beside herself.

"He wasn't!" Pote grumbled. "Teen boys don't think. They act!"

Then George was able to interject: "I was thinking...it was a faulty...condom...I love her, and I wanted to ...ahh...protect her!"

"Well, you wanna have a career in soccer or wanna have a girlfriend and responsibilities just now?" Pote sounded madder than Teresa.

"She took care of it!" The boy mumbled and everyone turned to him briskly.

James spoke first: "You mean she had an abortion?" His face was unreadable.

"Yes...I paid for it, but now I have no cash left in my fund for this season's equipment and..." George was stuttering as Teresa said: "Who is she?"

"A cheerleader from the team", George kept staring at his feet.

"Did her family know?" Teresa was simmering but seemed relieved.

"I don't think so...that's why she couldn't charge the insurance and we had to pay cash...we didn't go alone...one of Lena's horseback riding trainers...she helped us find a clinic...it was all safe...but now I'm penniless...my fund is empty!" This seemed to be the boy's main concern, so Pote finally said: