Chapter Six: Fear is the Enemy

Start from the beginning

Reid grew worried.

Holding back the bile that threatened to come up, Reid dropped the cloth and staggered back to the bedroom where he collapsed in a graceless heap on the bed and promptly passed out.

When he woke again, there was a cart of food beside the bed. The broth was still steaming, meaning they had come not too long ago.

Reid yawned and reached over to grab the bowl when a voice startled him.

"You're eating," a deep melodious voice said from across the room.

Reid yelped, dropping the bowl and the broth onto the floor, creating a huge mess.

The Naerian male who kidnapped him was sitting in a chair across the room with a small frown on his face.

Reid began to tremble.

He was so afraid, he hadn't even noticed when the Naerian signaled for a servant to come in and clean the mess while providing Reid with another meal.

"If you do not eat, you will grow weak," the Naerian said to his fated.

Reid just blinked at him, fear clear in his gaze not bothering to take his eyes off of him to get the new bowl of broth that was presented to him.

He was a fool for letting his guard down. He wasn't going to make that mistake again.

When they were alone again, Reid cleared his throat and dared to ask in a shaking voice. "Emkii, why did you not breed me?"

The Naerian stared at him for a moment before saying, "Kincaid."

Reid frowned in confusion.

"My name is Kincaid. You may address me as such."

Reid gave a slow nod before repeating, "Kincaid-emkii, why did you not breed me?"

"It does not serve my interest," he said simply and dismissively. Reid frowned.

What was that supposed to mean?

And how long was he planning on playing nice? It was not in the Naerians' nature to treat any human with respect. Was this some sort of ploy? Make Reid feel comfortable, trust him, before betraying his trust? For what reason?
Did they know he was a part of the rebellion? Perhaps they were going to use him to find out more about their plans. He had to make sure they never found out about the infiltration of their arsenal. According to the last meeting with Dania, it was supposed to be taking place soon. Now that he was compromised, it might be best if they didn't tell him. He wasn't prepared for any tactics they might try to extract the information. But it didn't mean his role in the rebellion was over.

Naerians usually loosened the leash of their command a little bit after the initial bonding, but only if the human played nice. Something that he learned from Gabe who fooled his own Naerian pair. But from the looks of things, Reid might end up like Jamila who was rarely ever allowed to leave her pair's sight. She told us that he liked his property readily available.

It made Reid sick just thinking about it.

He wasn't quite able to read Kincaid yet but he would and then he would manipulate him. He just had to bide his time and play a nice little redrya.

But in order to make it believable, he had to put up a little resistance since he was so against it before. It would draw suspicion if he suddenly became complacent.

He would do it. He would do whatever he had to, whatever was necessary.

"Your Rut should not overcome you for a few more hours. In that time, you must build your strength. I will remain with you for the duration."