XXXXVI. three magical words

Start from the beginning

I had punched him hard on his abdomen while he laughed like he had cracked the world's best joke.

"Papa, you know Kinju di. She's very—"

"Samar you better shut up. Kavya told me about your affair with Nandini, and I don't really want to pass the death sentence on you now.", He said sharply.

"Sorry, Mister Shah, but both Kinjal and Nandini are amazing girls. Okay? And they are going to be the wives of my sons, and your opinion doesn't matter.", I said sharply.
He narrowed his eyes.

"Anupamaa—"

"You either say yes, or say nothing.", I stated coldly.

"Arrey but my son is also there father. His opinion matters!", Baa interjected.
"Leela, if your son is being pointlessly judgemental then it's better to ignore him.", Bapuji said.

"Of course. My opinion doesn't matter in this house.", Vanraj said, looking at me with annoyance.
"Do whatever the heck you want to, Your Highness.", He snapped before walking right across the hall and banging the door shut.

I drew in a deep breath.

"Happy Birthday Mummy!", I heard as Samar hugged me tightly from behind.

"Thank you my bakuda..", I said turning towards him.
He hugged me tightly.

"Toshu Bhai and Pakhi wished you?", He asked.
"Both of them seemed to have casually forgotten.", I stated, trying very hard to not sound hurt.

Papa's favourite kids were also missing since the morning and I expected no better from them.

Samar gulped.

"And Papa?"

"I don't expect him to.", I stated plainly.

Just then my phone buzzed.

"That's his message, isn't it?", Samar said sounding excited.

I picked up the phone.

His name was saved as Gadhedo Shah, and nothing seemed more appropriate at the moment.

Care to reach our new Hotel?

Today was the opening of his company's new chain of hotels.
And after forgetting my birthday he expected me to show up.

Please.

He texted.

"Mummy I think you should go.", Samar said.
I drew in a deep breath.

I texted back.

Chuck you.

And kept the phone back on the granite.

Samar gasped.

"Ask him to apologise and then maybe I will reconsider.", I stated coldly.

Samar forced an awkward smile and strode out.
Another message entered.

Exasperating!

Gadhedo Shah : Look, I know what you wanted to write, and trust me I'd be overly thankful if you mean it 🥹 But please, just show up.

I drew in a deep breath.
The test of patience.

He added the three magical words.

For our family.

And I knew there was no way out.

Sighing, I gave up.

FINE.

•••

😂💫

for anupamaa and vanraj the three magical words will always be "for our family"