17

The following Monday at school, things had shifted.

Beomgyu walked over to Haein when he saw her at her locker, taking her books out. "Hey," he leaned against the neighbouring locker.

Haein nearly jumped out of her skin, surprised by him.

"Woah," Beomgyu chuckled. "Didn't mean to scare you. Sorry."

Haein avoided his gaze, her breathing more heavy than normal. "It's okay," she exhaled out, continuing to grab her things.

Beomgyu's eyebrows pulled together, quickly seeing that things were off. "Are you okay?" He reached forward to touch her arm but she quickly stepped away from him and shut her locker.

"I'm fine," she looked down at her feet. "I just... have to get to class." She turned and scurried down the hallway before he could stop her.

Beomgyu ran a hand through his hair, frustrated because he couldn't understand why she was being so weird and pushing him away. He thought they were at a loss point where she could trust him and actually tell him what was on her mind.

Throughout the day, every time he would try to approach her she would disappear or go the other way. He hardly saw her with Kai or Dani either.

She was nowhere she would usually be. At the bleachers or in the library.

He even tried to text her but there was no response.

"Dude, what the hell happened?" Beomgyu was in the change-rooms changing into his football gear for practice when he overheard Taehyun talking with one of his friends, Yeonjun.

"Nothing," Taehyun brushed off, his tone annoyed.

Yeonjun was Taehyun's best friend so he didn't let it go. "Your knuckles are a mess. Who'd you fight?"

Taehyun clenched his jaw, "Nobody, just let it go."

Yeonjun frowned a little, "I'm just making sure you're okay. What the hell happened, just tell me. You tell me everything."

Taehyun gave Yeonjun a cold look, "I don't want to talk about it. I'm not trying to be ass but just let it go."

Yeonjun paused before nodding, "Whatever you say, man."

Beomgyu stood there confused as the others headed out to the field. Both Taehyun and Haein were being very weird today so Beomgyu knew something was definitely wrong.

So, he pulled off his chest protector and slid his sweatshirt back on before rushing out of the change-rooms. Luckily the hallways were empty since everyone was in class already.

Beomgyu knew it was wrong but he couldn't help himself as he opened Haein's locker and searched for a new piece of folded paper. Which he found.

Dear Haein,

Minhyung Samchon made an appearance yesterday.
He came to pick some papers up from Appa's home office while he was at work.
It happened. Again.
Everything has been good lately but like I said,
nothing good ever lasts.
I don't... I just, don't even have words and I hate this because I don't want to cry, I want to write out the feelings but I have no feelings.
I just feel empty again.
And I hate it.
But then again, feeling empty is better than feeling sad, right?
At least being numb means I don't have to feel anger or sadness or hurt.
I hate him so much. I hate him so so so incredibly much, I can't express it.
God, the ink is smudging from my stupid tears. This whole thing is a mess, I am a mess, my life is a mess.
Taehyun is furious. He punched Samchon in the face. Multiple times. I had to pry him off of him.
Kai and Dani don't know it happened again but they can guess from the state I'm in.
I can't look at Beomgyu because I feel disgusting.
Now I feel like an asshole for dismissing him and being distant.
God, why am I mess? Why am I like this?
Beomgyu and I would joke about sci-fi movies being creepy because of the creatures and monsters.
Well, monsters are real
and they look just like people.
I don't think I'm okay right now.-Haein

Beomgyu clenched his hair between his fists, for the life of him, not understanding anything. What the hell did she mean 'it happened again'? What happened? What did her Samchon do? What did he do that was so fucked up that she's this messed up because of it?

Beomgyu was smart enough to realize it was bad, something so bad that even Taehyun was a mess right now.

He wanted to hug Haein more than anything but how could he when she was hiding her hurt from him?

"Beomgyu?"

Beomgyu spun around faster than the speed of light when he heard the familiar gentle and warm voice that he had grown to adore.

This time though, Haein's voice was weak and vulnerable.

Haein felt a panic attack coming on. Her chest felt heavy, she felt like she couldn't breath, like she couldn't even move as she stood there with tears pooling in her eyes, looking at Beomgyu standing by her open locker with a piece of paper in her hands.

"What are you-" the words left her mouth in a whisper, in a breath. She shook her head frantically, in absolute disbelief of the sight in front of her.

There was Beomgyu, standing there frozen with his mouth left agape as he gripped onto the letter in his hands.

The letter that he wasn't supposed to see.

The letter he wasn't suppose to know about.

The letter he had no right to read.

And just standing there, Haein's heart broke along with any trust she ever held.

She wanted to just let her knees go weak and fall to the ground but she couldn't do that. She refused to be weak like that in front of Beomgyu.

"Haein-ah, I can explain," Beomgyu took a step towards her, his eyes wide and filled with the upmost guilt and regret.

Haein continued to shake her head, not thinking she was seeing right.

And then, she did the only thing she could think to do. She turned on her heels and bolted down the hallway and out of the school, skidding away in her car before Beomgyu had a chance to stop her.