t w e n t y s i x

September 3rd 2023

The jet lag was starting to get to me, it felt like the night time yet, it was still light. But Charles was still next to me, and we were still in bed.

I was tired but relived "What time is it?"

"I don't know." Charles said, his voice wasn't thick with sleep, I drew back to look at him "Have you been awake this whole time?"

He pretended to stretch "What? No." I rolled over onto my side and smiled "You totally were. You were watching me sleep."

He shook his head "No that would be creepy, and boring. Watching you shower perhaps.."

I punched him in the arm, then snuggled deeper under the covers, "As much as I'm enjoying this," Charles said as he rolled over me, leaning on his arms "and believe me I am," he added looking down into my eyes as a mischievous smile formed on his laps "We have to get up."

I shook my head but he only nodded "It feels like nighttime." I pouted, "But you've had some sleep so you should be more than okay now." He reassured me.

I sighed dramatically, "I know," his smile grew as I rolled my eyes and scooted out from beneath him "Well done." He awarded to which he received the middle finger from me.

We were soon ready for race day, typically I would be heading straight for the Mercedes paddock but today Fred had decided to put me in my drivers suit, helmet and all and have me sit in the paddock and watch, so more people would bring attention to this 'mystery driver'

The idea bored me, let alone actually committing to sitting their suited and ready to go for an hour and a half without actually doing anything, at least I could talk to the mechanics as they already knew who I was anyway.

"Good luck out there today." I told him as he pulled his helmet on over his head, making sure he was in secure.

He shook his head "I should be saying that to you, the cameras aren't going to be on me today just you."

My helmet was on and my visor was down, we'd agreed that I could pull up my visor because you still wouldn't be able to tell my identity by my eyes alone, but the idea scared me.

"You're going to do so well." I wished him luck as he drove out to the starting position, Carlos Sainz not far behind him but refusing to speak to me which was fair enough, I did steal his seat.

"Don't worry about him, he's signed with Aston Martin." Fred tapped me on the shoulder to tell me.

I quizzed him "How'd you know I was worried, you can't see my face?"

"I just know these things." Fred assured me, we were both sat right next to each other watching the abundance of screens, all angles of the race at once.

The Ferrari paddock wasn't too dissimilar to Mercedes, it contained fifty ish mechanics all ready for emergency, the pit crew were ready at all times and of course medics and strategists were walking about too, the hectic side of formula one not always shown to viewers.

"So Evelyn the cameras pan to our paddock roughly three or four times a race, more so if we win so stay here during okay?" Fred asked me to which I just stuck up my thumbs, I'll be doing a whole lot more of this when I'm in interviews.

As the race began, a visitor entered the paddock someone I certainly hadn't expected to see "Fred, this your new driver?" My dad asked him pointing at me, I could see him from the corner of my eye so I shut my visor immediately.

"Yeah it is." Fred grabbed my shoulder and turned my chair so that I was facing Toto to which I waved pleasantly.

"She doesn't speak either?" My dad asked confused to which I shook my head exaggerating the movement to get the point across.

"If you've just come to inspect my driver you can head back your way." Fred told my dad but he didn't listen and continued to ask questions.

I stood up to give my dad a handshake, trying to get into character as best as I could "My wife and daughters really appreciate having a female driver on the grid, it's very inspiring. I mean you're practically living out my daughter Evs dream." My dad explained, my heart hurting instantly.

I made a thumbs up with my hand.

"Speaking of which, have you seen Evelyn today.. or at all recently?" My dad asked turning his attention towards Fred who remained sat.

"Oh Come on Toto let my driver watch the race, we all know you're just digging to see what potential she has." Fred mocked him and sent him back to Mercedes.

It was very rare for my dad to leave the garage during a race so he must've been very intrigued by my arrival on the grid early, "He's suspicious.. just leave him to it." Fred told me truthfully.

I watched the race in anticipation, it was a much different watch when you held certain feelings towards one of the drivers, "And a Mercedes win today in Italy!" The commentator told everyone as Russel crossed over the line.

Charles in second and Verstappen in third, overall not too bad a result for Ferrari. It was clear to see that Carlos Sainz although consistent was the second driver for Ferrari, even if the team stated they don't have a one and two driver.

I clapped as George crossed over until Fred gave me a disapproving look, "Sorry I forgot." I told him as I quickly pushed my hands down and stopped clapping for the opposing team.

As the teams went to celebrate their racers I was allowed out of the paddock to create some more buzz, I walked over to the podium next to Fred, ignoring all the questions shouted at me but clapping for Charles.

"WHAT IS YOUR NAME?"

"HAVE YOU BEEN IN F2?"

"GIRLS SHOULDN'T BE IN THE SPORT!"

All sorts of things were shouted from wild fans but I did my best to ignore them, keeping my visor down and clapping along with Fred.

————————————————————————
Ferrari:

Liked by 45,673,892 people Ferrari: the new driver sat and enjoyed the race today from the Ferrari paddock in Italy, did any of you see her?

Ferrari: the new driver sat and enjoyed the race today from the Ferrari paddock in Italy, did any of you see her?

Comments:

random92: we want to know her name!!!!

user8392: get women out of the sport ew

username392: sat there trying to be the centre of attention for an hour and a half, hate females.
________________________________