t h i r t e e n

My assistants voice played over speakerphone as I drove down to the Monaco kart track, "So you have a vanity fair event two days right before the Monaco GP."

"Yeah my dress fitting went well, we're doing the black Chanel." I confirmed with her as I parked up in the lot.

She seemed happy "Okay that's great, who is your plus one? You have got another ticket so it's up to you honestly."

"Can I bring Rosa?" I asked her, I knew my sister would be more than excited to attend something so fancy.

Her mood then dimmed "Only above 18 are allowed in so I don't think that's a safe option, you could lie but fans would know she wasn't eighteen yet."

"It's lame to bring my dad isn't it?" I asked to which my assistant chuckled in response "A little yeah."

"Why don't you bring Lewis? You're then putting some publicity on racing which you know Toto would love and he's single." She suggested to which I couldn't stop laughing.

I remarked "He's like double my age, it's gonna look like we're dating."

"So let it, any publicity is good publicity." She reminded me, that wasn't the case when I used to have articles about the amount of drugs I'd done or my paralytic alcoholic parties.

"Hm I will ask but no promises." I concluded, exactly what she wanted to hear thankfully so she then hung up the phone.

Evelyn
Hi Lewis, this is going to sound really weird but will you come with me to the vanity fair event....?

Lewis 🧐
Uh why

Evelyn
I don't have anyone to go with and I think my dad would be proud of me to bring a Mercedes driver - shedding light on the sport yk

Lewis 🧐
When is it?

Evelyn
two days...

Lewis 🧐
Only because your dad would kill me if I said no

Evelyn
Oh my god thank you so much Lewis. life saver.

Lewis 🧐
Yeah yeah

I let my assistant know immediately and she was beyond grateful that he could come with me, now I had to be careful I didn't scrape myself up on the track before an event.

I know I'm not allowed to race but I can't help it, even more so since I'd beaten all the boys and realised my potential is far greater than I had realised, "Hi yeah just for one thanks." I told the guy behind the counter as he tapped my card.

"Private track today, haven't had anyone in all day so go nuts." He replied passing my card back and throwing a helmet over the counter.

"Great thanks."

I honestly preferred going when the karting tracks were quiet so I was less likely to be seen by someone who knew me and I could do whatever pace I wanted.

The tracks in Monaco were much better in my experience, they are more complex and just overall way more fun to race on even if it was just for fun.

Only eleven laps in and I noticed some old guy sat besides the track in one of the stands, the dark colour of the visor didn't give me much clue who it was, a much younger boy joining me now on the track, I stopped as he signalled me to come over.

"Hi sorry do you fancy a race?" The small boy asked, I say small he was probably like fifteen ish, I assumed the old man was like his dad or something.

I held my thumbs up and kept my helmet on, I didn't want him to recognise me "Great! Twenty laps?" He asked to which I just stuck my thumbs up once again.

I didn't intend on going crazy, after all the boy was young but fucking hell was he good so five laps in I decided to step it up and got past him with ease.

I liked racing strangers, I didn't know them well enough to care if I beat them or not although it did depend on their ages a little.

Once the laps were over and done with I'd beaten him by a larger gap than expected as I'd overlapped him six times, he was still driving for six more laps once I was done.

I waited for him to finish and gave him a clap as he went off to go home after that, "Hiya what's your name?" The man asked as he came down from the stands.

My helmet came off quickly as i also wanted to head home, "Oh um Ev-

"Evelyn Wolff!" He said loudly, my cover was blown and it was all my fault. Should've kept the damn helmet on.

As he neared closer I realised it wasn't in fact an old man, rather Fred Vassuer "Fred?" I asked as I walked up to him a little more trying to figure if it was actually him.

"Yes! I didn't know you raced." He commented.

I grimaced "If my dad asks I don't."

He chuckled "You're very talented! My nephew is in F2 and you beat him with ease, I've never seen so much skill."

"That's very kind of you, your nephew is a good driver." I told him kindly, even though he wasn't particularly great and I didn't realise he was an F2 driver.

Fred was still fussing "No you could be unstoppable on the tracks, why hasn't your father got you in racing? Mercedes would actually win something."

I ignored the Mercedes dig "I'm not allowed to race, I'm not supposed to be here either so let's not tell him about that yeah?"

He sat down and patted the seat next to him, "I want you to race my drivers, next week can you come here and race them?"

"Um why?" I asked brushing my fingers through my now knotted hair, getting all of my hair in the helmet is an absolute nightmare.

He explained "They need someone to humble them and you're that person, Carlos' contract ends this year and he needs to realise he's damn replaceable."

I sighed "I don't know, I'm not even allowed to race from a legal perspective, I signed a contract not to race until November with Chanel."

"And what are you doing now? A little birdy told me that you raced ten drivers a few weeks back and that you won." He reminded me.

"Please don't tell my dad." I held my head in my hands, news travels fast and one of the drivers has clearly blabbed to Fred, one step closer to telling my dad.

"Drive for me next season and I won't tell your dad that you've been racing in secret, because my little birdy tells me you race a lot, and I will tell Chanel to sue you." He threatened, fuck my life.

He had every intention of coming here today expecting to see my race in-front of his own eyes.

"I can't race the formula one cars only like karts and normal-

He interrupted "Charles will give you lessons, Carlos is out at the end of the season. Welcome to Ferrari."