Chapter 7½

December 21st, 1920

9:12 PM

New Residence of Jacqueline Quinn Dame

Jacqueline wrung her hands as she stared out the window of her new apartment, courtesy of the Gemini Coven leadership. Thankfully, Coralie and Joséphine had been the only two relatives that had known the truth about her childrens' heritage so the Gemini Coven leadership were more than happy to provide accommodations for potential future leaders of the Coven. Even if they didn't know the truth. 

The apartment was truly lovely though, paid for and entirely in Jacqueline's name. She realistically knew she should have changed her identity to protect the twins but if everything went well tonight, she would never have to worry about her children being discovered. Ever. 

"Jacqueline...Come help me," Coralie called to her, gently rocking a nearly 2-month old Aurelio in her hands. Since the twins were born a little over a month ago, a little over a month since Coralie had...killed her own Mother Joséphine to save the lives of Jacqueline's children, Coralie had been her direct line of communication with the Gemini Coven out in Portland and her only familial support with the babies. She was eternally thankful and in debt to her beautiful cousin. 

Today was the day of the Winter Solstice and Coralie and Jacqueline would be channeling nature's energy on this momentous occasion to perform the Gemini Cloaking Spell. This cloaking spell had been used by the Gemini Coven for generations and it allowed the subject to be shielded from locator spells, disrupting the visions of those trying to pinpoint their location. On the floor was a ring of candles and within it were the twins' blankets, on one lay little Lovell. 

Even at nearly two months, Jacqueline had realized she had been gifted a true troublemaker with the younger twin and she only prayed she would be up to the task. Jacqueline stepped into the circle, calling to mind the words of the spell. Coralie gently placed Aurelio down in his bassinet and quickly stepped out of the circle. At Jacqueline's feet were two ceramic bowls, one filled with salt and the other with iron powder. Getting down onto her knees, Jacqueline grabbed handfuls of both materials and began to draw the intricate pattern necessary for the spell. Rising, Jacqueline positioned herself in the middle of the circle and took the dagger that Coralie held out to her. She quickly sliced her hand and spilled her blood onto the pattern of salt and iron powder. 

Entering a trance, Jacqueline Quinn Dame, daughter of the Gemini Coven, began to speak the words of the spell, vowing that both her children should never be discovered by the power of any witch not of her blood.