Chapter 12

CHAINED

CHAINED

August 2014, Age 16

We advise that you listen to: Superman by Eminem

"Oh my God, it's eight in the fucking morning!" Violet shouted stuffing her bookbag with her school supplies.

Within the last two months, her fourth foster parent watched her at the door, "Violet just talk to me, please! All this anger isn't healthy."

Violet zipped the bag shut, "I'm not angry."

The woman laughed, "Sweetheart."

"Don't call me that." Violet walked towards the door. The woman stood in front of her not moving.

Violet laughed, "Look, Ms. Price. I like you but I won't hesitate to body slam you. Move."

"You don't scare me. What's with the drugs I found in your room?"

The question caught her off guard, "What?"

Ms. Price held up her stash of pills. Violet cursed trying to snatch the bag from her, "Give it. It's prescription."

"No, it's not. You're getting high? That violates everything! When are you gonna realize that I care about you and I want to help you."

Violet scoffed. She pushed the woman aside storming out, "Where are you going?"

"School!" Violet shouted.

Violet stormed into the school's corridor feeling a panic attack come on. She took a deep breath digging through her bag for any extra pills. Her eyes brightened as she took one out, instantly swallowing it.

Her eyes wandered over the faces near the doors. Natalie was supposed to meet her. But her anger came back when Violet saw Manny with a freshman. He was smiling at her playing with the hem of her skirt.

"Fuck." She whispered to herself storming over to the group.

Violet pushed Manny hard. He crashed into other students grabbing attention. The crowd went silent as they watched the scene unfold. Violet took a step back as Manny approached her, "What the fuck!"

"Stay away from her." Violet said.

Manny smiled, "Or what?"

"Or I'm gonna tell everybody what you did."

Manny's smile dropped. He gripped Violet's arm causing her to yelp, "What did I do huh? If anything I took what was mine."

Using her free hand Violet swung at his face hitting his lip. He fell to the floor cradling his bleeding lip. Violet's eyes went wide at the sight of blood. She turned to the girl who looked like she was about to cry, "Stay away from him. He's no good."

Violet winced in the bathroom as Natalie pressed a cold paper towel to her bruised hand. Her feet swung as she sat on the white sink. Natalie stared at her, "Why did you hit him?"

"You know why."

Nat shook her head, "Vi, you gotta get some help."

"I really don't. I'm sick of people saying that. Telling me what I need. I'm fine!" Violet snatched the paper towel and jumped from the sink.

Later, Violet sat in her last-period class next to Oakley nodding off. The pills were making her drowsy. She looked like a junkie. Her teacher ignored her high student and moved on. Oakley kicked her leg under the table.

Violet jumped rubbing her leg, "What?"

"Wake up," Oakley said just as the bell rang.

Violet sucked her teeth and rubbed her eyes. She followed him out of the class, "What is your problem?"

Oakley shook his head as he walked down the street away from the school. Violet pushed passed her classmates running after him, "Did you hear me?"

"What is wrong with you?" Oakley asked spinning around.

Violet made a face, "If anything you're ignoring me."

"What happened to you? You look just like your mom."

"Woah. I'm nothing like her." Violet got defensive, she threw her book bag down on the street.

Oakley scoffed, "Look at you. Erratic as fuck. Nodding off in class. I heard about your fight with Manny too. Is that how you bruised your hand?"

He reached grabbing her hand. Violet yanked her body away from him, "You weren't so worried about me when I was sucking your dick every other day."

"I think we need a break," Oakley said softly.

"Fine. I don't need you. This wasn't supposed to last this long anyway."

Oakley looked hurt, it flashed quickly before disappearing. His jaw clenched as he hid his emotion, "Okay. Violet, I really want you to get some help."

"Just go before I punch you too." She whispered averting her eyes.

Violet could hear his footsteps fading away the farther he got. She wiped her tears feeling the need to scream. She leaned against the wall breathing deeply.

"Violet?" A random voice called out.

Her head snapped up. Her mother stumbled over in heels and a dirty dress. Violet grimaced at how she smelled, "Ma?"

"Hey, baby. You got some money?"

Violet watched the woman before her laughing, "I don't know you."

Dear Diary,

Maybe I am just like my mother. A junkie. A criminal. A sinner. Or whatever else is gonna send me to hell. Honestly, I don't really care. Nothing in this world has been for me. Everyone is against me.

Even the one person I love. He's acting like he doesn't know me. But I do. This is who I am and whoever doesn't accept that can get the fuck away from me.

Authors Note:

vote and comment