Chapter 5

HOW ARE YOU

HOW ARE YOU

We advise that you listen to: Tag, You're It by Melanie Martinez

December 2022, Age 24

Violet shuffled through the staff kitchen sweating. The head chef, Michael was behind on food. Violet tapped her foot, "I need that chef special up now."

Michael looked at her through the shelves, "It's gonna take 20 minutes."

"Fuck. Let me help." Violet's response sounded more like a question.

Michael raised an eyebrow at her before smiling, "Grab an apron and wash your hands!"

Michael watched as Violet worked on the food. She knew all the kitchen lingo and worked well with the sous chefs. That 20-minute wait turned into 10.

"You did good Violet."

She didn't smile, "Thank you."

Michael was an older man, and the corner of his eyes had wrinkles, "You ever thought about culinary school kid?"

"Nah."

"Why not? You're great here. I see the way you look at food. Or when you get behind the burner. You're a natural leader. They listen to you and they've been working longer than you've been alive."

Violet grabbed the tray as she plated the food, "I don't know."

Michael placed a warm hand on her shoulder, "If you ever think about it, you know where to find me."

"Okay."

She sauntered into the dining area. The chandeliers twinkled in the light. Men in suits sat around drinking their old-fashioned alcohol. Violet smiled at them even though it was totally fake. Smiles got her tips. Really good tips.

"Chef's special has arrived." She placed the plates neatly in front of them.

The old men smiled eyeing her. She poured them more water before collecting any finished plates, "Anything else?"

The old man reached up rubbing her thigh, "No thank you, darling."

She gritted her teeth moving slowly. Her nostrils flared with anger, "Enjoy."

Violet made her rounds before taking the back exit for a smoke break. She pulled out her vape smoking its airy content. The cold brick wall helped her feel more at ease.