Chapter 9

THE READING

THE READING

We advise that you listen to: Higher by Tems

June 2013, Age 15

Violet stumbled through the dark streets with her bookbag on her back. Her eyes were wide and dilated. The pills were working. Violet saw Oakley standing outside of the train station. His overnight bag seemed to be fuller than hers.

"Happy birthday!" Violet laughed as she hugged him.

He hugged her back, "It's not my birthday yet."

Violet rolled her eyes, "I know but we're still acting like it's today and not tomorrow."

The two teens got on the first-morning train from London to Paris. They sat down as the train began moving. The only people up this early were the early risers and business owners. She smiled brightly as she watched Paris come into view.

"You know I snuck out to do this," Violet admitted as Oakley's eyes widened.

"You didn't get permission from your foster mom?"

She shook her head giggling, obviously high, "Nope."

Oakley turned a bit red, "I don't want to get you in trouble."

She waved him off. He grabbed her hand squeezing it, "Last time you did something bad they moved you across the city to a new home."

Violet sucked her teeth pulling away from him, "I thought you'd be happy I was here with you?"

"I am! But clearly, you're too high to be rational right now."

Violet turned her head staring out of the window. Oakley moved over in his seat creating some distance between them. She sniffled feeling sad. The drugs weren't working anymore. After their argument, the pair ventured into Paris.

Violet stuffed her face with treats she never had at home. Oakley pulled her along the busy streets as they shopped around. Their sudden disconnect disappears. Their laughter filled the streets as they window-shopped.

"This seems cool." Oakley said pointing at the big 'medium' sign with stars.

Violet's face turned up, her emotions more evident since the drugs were wearing off, "I don't know. It's giving fraudulent."

He laughed deeply pulling her inside. The shop was empty. Violet's eyes shined as the colorful crystals lined up in buckets. An older woman came out with a flowy dress and sweater. She smiled at the young teens.

"Shouldn't you two be in school?"

Violet rolled her eyes, "Maybe maybe not."

The woman laughed, "I suggest you two look around. Are you interested in a reading?"

"No."

"Yes." Oakley's voice was louder than hers.

Violet tried to ignore the smell of lavender as they say in front of the woman. Oakley was way too invested in this. He was sitting watching as the woman shuffled cards.