Chapter 2

PARTY BITCHES

PARTY BITCHES

We advise that you listen to: Turn on the Lights by Future

December 2012, Age 14

Violet pulled the hem of her dress down. Her friend Natalie tugged her hand dragging her through the crowded house.

"I don't know, Nat," Violet shouted over the loud rap music.

Natalie looked back at her smiling, "Babe relax it's a party."

Violet looked around smiling slightly. Natalie got them drinks. She sipped slightly ignoring the burning of alcohol as it went down her throat.

She was enjoying the music when she noticed Cench walking in. He dapped up his friends pulling on his book bag. Violet watched as he passed around small baggies collecting money.

"What's his deal?" Violet asked pouring more alcohol into her cup.

Nat smiled, "That's Oakley."

"Continue."

Natalie took another shot, "Stay away from him. He's like white trash honestly."

"And we're not ghetto trash either?" Violet rebutted starting at Natalie.

"Nah, sis. We might be Black and broke but we not like that." Natalie said pulling her locs over her shoulder. Violet shook her head. Natalie had no idea how poor she was.

"Damn, what's he selling?"

"Pills, coke, and weed. He got everything."

Violet continued to stare at him from afar, "Damn."

Violet jumped when Manny approached her, "Yo, I'm sorry for our last run-in."

Violet nodded her head keeping her composure, "Manny it's okay."

He smiled at her shaking his curly hair, "You look good."

"Thanks."

Violet realized he was still standing there. Manny had become known to her as the bad boy and the class clown. Always in some shit. 

"What Manny?" She whispered looking at him.

"I got a piece offering for you." She watched as Manny pulled out a baggie from his pocket.

Her slender fingers gripped the bag taking it. He smiled at her again and she realized he was cuter than his own attitude.

"Enjoy, mama." He told her watching her slightly.

"Manny, what's your deal?"

He scoffed, "We all gotta eat right?"

"Yeah, but you pulled a knife on me." She whispered looking at the bag.

"That's in the past though. We're cool?"

She looked at him. His dark curly hair emphasized his hazel eyes. He was mixed. White mom and a black dad. He was fit too, like he could've played football if he wasn't running the streets.

"We cool." She leaned up kissing his cheek. Violet had seen many girls kiss him and she thought she could do the same.

Violet pocketed the drugs. She continued to drink not caring about its contents. The party was booming now. She smiled as Nat took cute videos of them.

Violet went back to the makeshift bar taking a bottle of water. The baggie was still in her hands. A single pill made her eyes widen. She opened the bag swallowing the pill.

Natalie continued to dance with her. The neon lights mixed in with the music. Violet swayed back and forth.

Violet had no idea what she was doing. By then she needed to piss really bad. Her hands scraped the wall as she found the bathroom.

Her nose scrunched up in confusion as she tried to lift the toilet seat. The pill and alcohol were getting to her. Once she finished she washed her hands opening the door.

"Watch yourself," Oakley told her leaning against the wall.

Violet jumped, "What?"

"Manny. He's not all that." He told her eying her dress.

Violet swayed, "Emanuel isn't gonna hurt me. Not anymore."

Oakley gripped her arm steadying her, "What did he give you?"

She chuckled revealing her dilated pupils, "Oakley, I don't know. Just vibe."

His warm hands opened her eyes, "Fuck man. Don't take shit else from him."

Violet rolled her eyes feeling tired. Oakley shook her awake, "Look at me."

Violet eyed him not wanting to stare at him. He was staring into her soul, "Nothing in this world is free."

"You would tell me that but you're out here selling people poison."

Natalie waited by the front door sober, "We gotta go before my mom wakes up."

Violet giggled, "Okay I'm coming. Bye Oak."

He cringed, "That's not my name."

Violet tried to keep her laughter in as they snuck back into Natalie's window. Natalie Vanzant lived much better than Violet.

With a full-sized bed, a full fridge, and no roaches, Violet was in heaven. Natalie's grandmother allowed her there a few times a week. They were still in the hood but it felt like life was sweeter.

"Shush," Natalie told her lifting her bed covers.

Violet waited until Natalie was asleep. She was still a bit wired from her night out. She lazily pulled out her notebook writing.

Dear Diary,

I don't know what I took last night but it made me feel good. I was high as hell. It made me forget everything that was going on. 

But, Oakley scared me. He told me to stay away from Manny. I don't know Emanuel seems cool and I like him as a friend.

Authors Note:

Bro Manny is no good, me thinks, no fr he's terrible

Vote and comment.