Chapter 4

TEN MINUTES

TEN MINUTES

We advise that you listen to: Me and the Devil by Soap&Skin

trigger warning: this chapter brings up sexual assault so please be careful

February 2013, Age 14

Violet pulled on her coat at her locker. The year was almost finished and Violet couldn't wait until it was summer. Teenagers hung out in the hallways exchanging gifts. It was Valentine's Day and many of the popular girls had made a show out of it.

Amanda skipped down the hall with an arm full of flowers, "I see you're empty-handed Violet. No Valentine?"

"Maybe ask Jonah who else he gave a gift today. Seems like Peyton got something from him too, and I'm not talking about flowers." Violet smiled wickedly closing her locker.

Amanda huffed flabergasted. She flipped her blonde hair leaving her alone. Violet began her trek home. She saw Manny waiting for her outside the school gates, "What's good Manny."

"Don't tell me you going home?" He asked placing an arm around her shoulder.

Violet didn't mind. Manny gave her attention that she didn't get at home or at school. Natalie watched them from afar shaking her head.

"Why can't I go home?" She asked smiling.

Manny redirected her to his neighborhood, "I got some gas for you. It's some new shit."

"Really?" She asked curious. The two of them had gotten used to getting high together every now and then.

"Yeah."

Violet coughed as she inhaled the drug. She waved her hand in front of her trying to get rid of the evidence. She leaned back against his bed feeling high instantly. It was calming for her. She felt like she was floating.

"How is it?" He asked looking over at her from his desk.

With low eyes, she responded, "Good."

Manny put the joint out watching as the high took over her. He played with the chain around his neck, "You remember the first time I gave you shit?"

"Yeah."

"It's time to pay up."

Violet opened her eyes, "How much I owe you?" 

Manny made his way over to his bed. He tugged his shirt off throwing it on the floor. Violet averted her eyes. She had seen him without a shirt many times but something was different. He smiled at her as he sat on the bed, his hand inching up her leg.

"It's not money I want."

Violet's stomach lurched as he leaned down to kiss her. She moved her head sitting up. Her eyes widened when he pushed her down on the bed. His body weight was nothing compared to hers, "Manny, stop."

"Bitch you thought shit was free? Ain't nothing free."

"Manny, stop!"

Violet wiped her wet face as she crossed the street back to her neighborhood. Her skirt was wrinkled. Her top had a rip. She walked with a limp. Violet sobbed as she passed the corner store near her building. No one paid her any mind.

Violet turned the knob to the front door. Her mother's boyfriend snorted coke off the coffee table. Her mother sipped on her beer.

"Violet Ruby Diamant, where have you been?" Her mother, May, questioned.

Violet ignored her sitting on her own bed. The tears wouldn't stop. Her mother leaned in the doorway, "What happened?"

Violet nodded looking up from her scraped knees, "Mama, he, he forced me. I didn't want to."

May waved her off, "I told you to stop running in them streets. Fast girls always get it."

Her mother left her to go back to her boyfriend. Violet felt frustrated as she cried harder. Her head began hurting.

"Stop all that crying!" Her mother's boyfriend yelled out annoyed.

Violet made her way to their small bathroom. She had fresh clothes waiting for her as she stepped under the water. She watched as blood trickled down her leg and down the drain. Bruises and handprints were showing up on her stomach.

After she scrubbed herself raw Violet pulled her clothes into a grocery bag ignoring the blood stains on her underwear.

Violet trekked outside in the freezing cold with nothing but shorts and a sweatshirt on. She jumped when Oakley rolled up on her, "Violet what the fuck? Natalie told me she saw you with Manny...alone."

Violet sniffled as she threw the bag into the dumpster, "Yeah."

Oakley knew something went wrong, "Violet."

She waved him off feeling like she would cry again, "Please."

His hand came up to caress her raw skin. His nostrils inflamed when he saw the handprint on her neck, "He hurt you."

Violet felt a tear fall from her face, "I'm fine. Let it go please."

"No."

She smiled a bit, "Nothing is free right? That's what you told me."

Violet wiped her face walking back to her building. He saw the light leave her eyes. The old Violet wasn't there anymore. She had finally learned her lesson: nothing in the world is free.

Dear Diary,

It only took him ten minutes and that was enough to make me bleed and leave marks. Never again.

(tear drops stains on paper)

Authors Note:

Guys this is a heavy chapter so please read with discretion!

As always if you need to talk to someone know that you are not alone!

Thanks so reading!