Chapter 3

FULL CIRCLE

FULL CIRCLE

We advise that you listen to: Blind by SZA

December 2022, Age 24

Violet pulled off her work shirt sighing. Her mother lay in the hospital bed that sat in their small living room. The television flickered as it played re-runs of Jeopardy. The smell of disinfecting cleansers made Violet itch.

"Hi, mama." She spoke fixing the bed sheets.

"Hi, baby. How was work?" Her mother's voice sounded dry.

"Fine."

"This is a new job, right? The sales one?" Her mother sounded confused.

"Yeah, mama." Violet kept her answers short. She emptied the bedpan into the makeshift toilet next to the bed.

She worked many odd jobs. Violet never really found her niche in life. So far she worked at a five-star restaurant in central London. Very high class and elite, something she'd never be.

"How's Oakley? He called again. Said y'all had an assignment due or something."

Violet wiped her eyes, "Mama, Oakley and I haven't spoken in years. What year is it?"

Her mother started breathing heavily, "2013 right?"

"Yeah, I'll call him back."

Violet passed her mother a cup of water and walked to her bedroom. She sighed closing the door. She pulled out her iPad flipping through Youtube. She smiled watching the latest Central Cee music video. She turned up the volume looking up at the popcorn ceiling.

"At least one of us made it out of the hood."

Her smile ceased when his song Ruby began to play. Flashbacks from her childhood mixed in with the song lyrics. Bile rose in her throat. Violet reached forward pausing the music. Her old journal sat on the small bookshelf in her room.

Her rapid heartbeat was the only thing she heard as she tried to take deep breaths. She placed her hand on her chest trying to ignore the trauma that was beginning to resurface. Violet turned to the latest page in her diary.

The last entry was in 2020. The book was torn up and some of the pages began to fade turning yellow. She picked up her pen and began writing.

Dear Diary,

He wrote a song about me! And it's not a good one either. What the fuck. That's so fucked up. Half of the shit isn't even true. Fucking liar like always. He's a liar and anybody who believes him is a mess too.

Authors Note:

Vote and comment.

Pay attention to the dates cuz we skipped forward to the present in this one!