Chapter 13

Zayn's POV

The next three weeks after my wonderful visit with President Bellator, I tried my best to fade into the sidelines of everything. I didn't talk to anyone at work, I didn't roll my eyes at any of the officials that I walked past, I tried my hardest to not show any hatred towards the government.

But, the stress did get to me a bit. I found myself worried that if I blinked wrong that would be a death of one of these men. I couldn't get sleep at night and I stopped being hungry. I probably lost more weight than I did after my father died leaving my family hungry. Of course now I'm a full grown man, but I still look horrible. The days I'm not working I spend alone in the woods just sitting there, looking off into space because I can't get myself to do anything but think.

It was early Monday morning when I was woken up out of the light sleep I was in to Niall running to the bathroom and vomiting. I got out of bed immediately and went to check on him. He groaned once before leaning forward and vomiting once more. All I could do was rub his back and wait for this to pass.

"Zayn!" Niall cried when he was done. I took my shirt off and wiped his mouth up before holding him in my arms. He sobbed and held on to me for a few minutes before I stood up with him and carried him back to bed. I felt his forehead for a fever, but he didn't have one. Either way I still went to the kitchen to get him a cup of water.

"Are you feeling better now?" I asked him, hoping it was just a sour stomach from something he had eaten for dinner the previous night. He nodded his head and gulped down some of the water before handing the cup back to me.

"I've felt my stomach feel gross for a few days now so I'm hoping it's a stomach bug." He told me, his voice sounding rougher than usual. I looked at the whites of his eyes to see if they were still a good color, which they were. I placed my hand on his stomach, but looked down when it felt more bloated than his thin self normally does.

"Niall, does your stomach hurt at all?" I asked him. He shrugged and let his eyes slid shut for a minute before answering me completely.

"It does a little, but it's mostly just feeling nauseated." He told me then pulled me by the arm to hold him. I did just that because he was probably sick and just needed to be loved on a bit more than I have recently.

A few minutes later I heard the whistle blow for me to get to work, but there was no way I was leaving Niall. If he's sick or has something then I'm going to be right here to hold him and comfort him. Niall started whimpering when he heard the whistle and held on to me tighter. He's definitely sick if he's being this clingy.

"Baby, I'm going to go tell Liam to do me a favor so I can stay with you today. I'll be right back." I told him, but he just shook his head. Somehow I managed to get out of his grip and get him to stay in bed while I put on a shirt and a pair of jeans that used to fit me but now just hang off my hips.

I ran outside and down the way to Liam's house and saw him just shutting the door to his house. He turned and saw me, but frowned when he saw I wasn't in my work clothes.

"Liam, I need you to do me a huge favor and pull some strings for me. Niall is sick and I don't want him alone. Can you cover for me so I don't have to go in to work?" I asked him. We both started walking while I saw Liam thinking. We stopped outside my house and he pat me on the back.

"I'll do something, don't worry. I can even tell a few more people that you're home with a sick husband and they'll help." I nodded then remembered something I needed him to do for me.

"Make sure Bobby Horan doesn't worry about Niall being sick. I don't want him scared because this is the first time Niall had been sick while we've been married." Liam promised me he would work everything out then I ran back inside where I found Niall in the bathroom floor again hugging the toilet.

I sat behind him and kept rubbing his back to just keep him calm until he was done. I picked him up and took him back to bed just holding him close to me. He seemed to have drifted back to sleep easier than I would have thought considering he wasn't feeling that great. I think it had to do with the fact I was rubbing his bloated stomach softly to comfort him as best as I could.

While he slept, I continued to worry about not only the government being after me in a way, but my husband being sick now. I tried to block out any really scarry scenarios and to tell myself that this was all just a stomach bug. All the worrying made me feel restless so I got out of bed. I made sure Niall was tucked in properly and kissed his forehead before walking around our house looking for ways to make myself useful.

I looked in the cupboards and saw how little food we had left. I knew normally I would have told Niall that he could go to town during the day, but he was sick. In our refrigerator we only had some blueberries and milk so I pulled that out and decided I'd take advantage of eating while it even remotely seemed like something I could enjoy. The whistle blew in the distance signalling the start of the lunch break down at work. I leaned against the counter and picked at the sweet fruit before looking at the dove tattoo I had on my hand. I didn't have that much time to really think over it before I heard heavy footsteps coming up my front porch and my door swinging open wide.

"You have to get out of here. They knew you weren't at work and they're coming for you." Liam panted out to me. I ran into the bedroom and started getting dressed in my jumpsuit while Liam gathered Niall in his arms. Niall squeaked when he realized it wasn't me picking him up, but I just held his hand as Liam and I ran out the back door.

We snuck behind the houses until we got to Liam's house. It was set up exactly like my house, but they actually had a real couch. If I wasn't so worried about the fact I had officials after me, I would have asked him where he got a couch. Instead I kept my thoughts to myself and followed Liam into his bedroom. His wife came in the room and pulled back the blankets for Niall to be placed comfortably in the bed. She was a tall, thin girl that had light brown hair and soft brown skin. Her eyes were so light that I couldn't tell if they were green or brown.

"This is Sophia. She'll take care of Niall." Liam said as he started to pull me out of the room. Unfortunately, Niall got up and looked like he was green I helped him to the bathroom where he threw up once more. He was sobbing as I rubbed his back. I kissed his forehead and tried to tell him everything would be okay.

"I have to go. Sophia will take care of you." I told him. He started crying that he didn't want me to leave, but Liam hand to pull me away from Niall. His hands clutched on me and it took all my strength the separate them from me. Sophia took my spot and wrapped her thin arm around Niall as Liam and I ran out of the house.

We ran behind the houses, but Liam pulled me dead in my tracks when a large group of officials were walking up to my house. We pressed ourselves close to the side of the neighboring home in hopes that the officials would check my house, see no one was there and leave.

"This will be the first whipping we've done since Payne's father." One of the officials said. I looked at Liam and saw his brown eyes were boiling with anger as he stared at the dirt covered ground. I wrapped my hand around his wrist to comfort him in some way.

"Maybe we should kill Payne the way we did his father for thinking he's some hero that can go behind our backs." Another office said. Liam shivered and clenched his fists tighter. I didn't know a lot about Liam or his dad or anything, but I'm guessing Liam isn't far from being like his father with the way he seems to be taking this situation under his arm and running with it. The door to my house was slammed open and Liam and I took that as our chance to run down to the loading docks.

When we got there, a group of men in their work uniforms came and surrounded me. I saw that they were all just waiting around the docks taking their lunch break. Someone handed me half a sandwich and told me to eat it. I'm guessing they were all trying to get me looking like I had been here all morning and there was nothing out of place. One of the men rubbed some coal on my face so I looked like I had been at my station for the week. I looked up at the dock to the officials that had their big guns on display today. I made eye contact with the Main and took a bite of my sandwich. He looked like he wanted to shoot me on the spot, but he had no proof that I was anywhere but here. However, this whole situation still added one more thing on my list to worry about. Niall as on the top of it.

A/N: I'm rewrote this almost two years later after Wattpad deleted it so I hope it's okay!
-Bri ;)