Chapter 11

Niall's POV

"You just have to listen to every single thing around you and be quick." Zayn told me after he had just shot down three ducks in a row. We both managed to get into the woods and have no one see us. Zayn needed this, I could see it.

The second we got in the woods it was like he could breath again or like he understood the meaning of life again. That in itself was enough to make my throbbing bum and nervous mind fade to the background. He looked beyond happy to just see a tree so close to him that it made me love him even more. So much more I might let him do what we did last night again, despite the amount of pain I was in just walking.

"Don't you ever feel bad for killing them?" I asked him from where I was sitting on a boulder. He looked at me and shrugged a bit before sitting down next to me.

"It's just survival. If I thought of that, then I would have killed my family by not providing for them. Even now, what the government pays me isn't nearly enough for us to live off of. We've bearly made it this far and that's only because they somewhat stocked our kitchen with food when we moved in." He told me, looking down at his rifle. I heard the anger in his voice, but saw that he wanted to keep it hidden from me.

We both walked over to get the birds he shot down. I ran away when he picked them up like it don't bother him they didn't have heads anymore.

"Niall, stay over there for a few minutes. I have to gut these out here." He called to me and I didn't need to be told twice. I went farther and covered my ears so I wouldn't hear what going on. I should have just stayed home and not come with him. He would have shot more birds down if I didn't scream when he started shooting.

I sat down with my hands still over my ears and started looking around the forest. I looked up and saw two white doves just sitting there above me. I smiled because I remember seeing one single white dove on the window seal of our room the first morning I woke up married to Zayn. Both the birds were sitting there, one looked smaller than the other. Then the larger one flew away, leaving behind a single white feather floating down towards me. The small bird that looked like it didn't belong in the forest just as much as me flew down and landed in front of me.

I dropped my hands from my ears and reached a hand out to the pure white bird. He took a few steps to me, then flew away as my name was being screamed. 

I stood up and started running to where I heard Zayn screaming my name and saw him standing up right where I had left him but with a panicked look on his face. I went over to him and he wrapped his arms around me before pulling me away from him to look at my face.

"I was calling for you and you didn't answer me! Don't go so far from me when you don't know the woods!" He yelled at me, but I knew he was just scared not angry with me. I kissed him then told him I was fine before he requested we both head back.

We got out of the forest, I had no idea where I was. To me, everything was so flipped around and I almost started panicking because I just wanted to go home, but Zayn just took my hand in head and began leading down unfamiliar streets.

"I'm going to go check on my family. We can give them two of these." He told me, showing me the three birds he had in his hand. I shook my head and back away from the birds, making him laugh at me.

We showed up to a small house and the same little girl that tackled me in the streets that one day came out of the house, attaching herself to Zayn. He dropped the birds and picked up the little girl, kissing her up and closing his eyes as he hugged her. My stomach fluttered at the sight because that's how I want him to be with our children one day.

"Zayn!" Another girl screamed as she ran out of the house and I saw it was that other girl that I talked to walking to school, Waliyah. She stopped mid run and looked at me with her big eyes, then looked at Zayn then back to me.