A Test of Strength

Skysati entered the room as Petro practiced his lightsaber moves with a practice droid. She caught the droid with her hand as Petro hit it toward her.

Petro lifted his helmet in embarrassment as he realized what had happened.

Skysati smirked as she tossed the droid back at Petro. "Not bad. I'd be worried you're trying to steal my moves,"

Petro smiled at the praise.

"Can everyone gather around, please?" Skysati voiced as she got the remaining padawans' attention. "You have all successfully passed The Gathering and harvested your crystals,"

Gungi cheered.

"So when do we start to build our sabers?" Petro questioned.

"Place your crystals on the table. Your lesson begins now." Skysati stepped aside. "May I introduce you to architect and lightsaber designer Huyang?"

Huyang walked over with his hands behind his back and bent to examine the younglings before him. "These are them. I swear they get younger every expedition. All have passed the Gathering?"

"Yes, sir," Skysati nodded.

"Are you sure?"

"Just because I was a questionable case doesn't mean they are," Skysati smirked.

"But he's a droid. You expect us to learn from a droid?" Ganodi voiced.

Huyang turned abruptly towards the younglings. "Who said that?"

Ganodi pushed through the others to reach the front of the group.

"Many years I have been on this ship, teaching maybe a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks, I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made and the Jedi who fashioned them,"

The younglings all awwed as a hologram of the multiple forms of lightsabers appeared.

"What will you choose? A simple grip? The curved approach? One inlaid with the bone of the Cartusion whale, pastillion ore, or black onk? Well? From the Battles of Rashfond to the Peacekeeping of Parliock to our Clone Wars, the lightsaber is a Jedi's only true ally," Huyong picked up one of the crystals. "But how do they work? You have brought me crystals, but they're all useless unless you give them life. Do you know how to awaken the Force within the crystal?"

Ganodi shook her head.

"No?"

Skysati smirked at the droid's antics.

"Then I suggest you listen and learn until you think of a question this droid cannot answer," Huyang took note of Gungi "A wookie." he marveled. "Rare you are to the Jedi. Proud your people must be. Unique, just as your lightsaber will be. Hold out your hand, wookie. Describe what you see your saber to be,"

Gungi explained his lightsaber in great detail.

Huyang shook his head. "No, no, not what you imagine but what you feel in your hand. Concentrate. What will make you strong in battle and humble in retreat? What connects with your Force?"

Gungi closed his eyes as he focused on the feeling.

"Ah, yes, wood. Not a common choice. And only wood from the brylark tree is as strong as metal." Huyan began to walk back toward his cabinets. "Where would we find that out here, far from anywhere, deep in space? Let's see what we have,"

Arms appeared from Huyang's back to help in his search

"Yes, yes, yes. No, no, no, no, no, no. Ah, I wondered where I put that. Ah, ah, what do we have here?" Huyang pulled out a box and brought it over to the younglings. "It is my job; before you leave this ship, you will have everything you need to build your lightsabers and know how to do it. So let us begin. There is much more work to be done,"