Chapter 16 (T.T.)

Peak gripped my forearms as I was dragged backward into the crashing waves, letting himself be dragged with me.

He was either stupid or desperate if he was doing this.

He tried to dig into the sand with his back claws, but it was no use.

Only I could get myself out of this mess.

As the waves inched closer and closer towards my back legs, I smashed my tail up and heard a crack behind me.

"Gah!" my assailant roared.

So it wasn't one of those black boxes from one-and-a-half seasons ago. It was a dragon.

The grip on my shoulders didn't let go, so I smashed my tail repeatedly into the dragon behind me until they let go.

Peak grabbed me close to him and wrapped his talons around my neck, gripping it in almost in a protective way.

I turned my head around as he glared at my assailant, and I saw that they were an OceanWing with deep, dark blue scales that were nearly black. Strangely, there was a grouping of sky-creatures on the now-lifeless dragon, which were dismounting onto the shore and running towards us. They were clad in some sort of metallic armor that covered their small bodies and they wielded some sort of metallic stick in their clawless paws.

Peak started backwards into trees, still holding me in his talons, but we weren't fast enough.

The sky-creatures stopped close in front of us and raised their sticks at us, which had a small hole at one end, We both suddenly felt painful pricks in our scales, more painful than being stabbed by dragon claws.

Many of them hit my back all at once, and the pain was as if large metallic thorns were being embedded into me. One of them even got into my eye, and a metallic, burning feeling suddenly shot through my head.

I roared in pain as the sky-creatures kept shooting at us, and Peak let go of me and I fell onto the sand bellyfirst. "ASHES! WHERE IN THE NAME OF EUKARYA ARE YOU?!"

No response from the dark trees as I felt blood stream down my back. I looked up at Peak, and his underbelly was now a red color and he looked like he wasn't going to survive this.

I felt my mouth go dry as I heard sky-creatures whoop in victory for our demise.

This was the second time I was near death. Only this time, this was going to be permanent and wouldn't be coming back.

I turned my head to look out of my remaining eye, and saw Peak stagger down onto the sand, backside first. He was breathing shakily, as if the sky-creature's weapons had managed to puncture his lungs.

Dragon bones were hard, harder than a sky-creature's. But their lungs... not so much. Sure, they were larger than most creatures on the planet, but they too could easily be punctured by sharp objects or clumsiness.

He looked up at the moons and the stars above, not even looking at me.

"I hope they're right", he muttered to himself as his eyes lolled shut. "I hope I meet Caelum."

He's wrong, I thought to myself. He won't meet Caelum because he never believed in the deity, and he also never obeyed the tenants of the StormWing religion in the first place.

He's trying to comfort his dying self.

The sky-creatures were now encircling us, ready for the kill. They raised their metallic sticks before a roar from beyond called out, "Jambeau? Jambeau!"

I could feel myself slipping away into darkness as I turned my head to see the caller, an OceanWing, land on the sand in front of us.

The dragon was pale blue, nearly white like clouds, had pale pink membranes like the insides of shells, and dark eyes.