Chapter 7 (T.T.)

Waking up in the middle of the night was not my thing. Neither was not being able to fall asleep after said awakening.

I had woken from a dream where Vulcan had breathed fire at me before eating me up.

Which was supposed to represent my fear of him taking over the planet?

I shook myself and stretched before looking down to see if the egg was intact.

It was.

Good.

Mother was still asleep in her alcove, Swell curled up to her. Likewise were Whirlpool, Current, and Seaquake.

She had advised me last night before everyone went to sleep not to take the harness off during the night, as it would be asinine for my mental and physical wellbeing overall.

I looked out the hole and saw that it was still nighttime, Moons I and III and the stars were still out.

That could give me some time to fly around the mountain before discussions occurred today.

But it had to happened before dawn or before anyone woke. And I couldn't take my pearls with me; I had to stay unnoticed.

With that in mind, I jumped through the hole into the night sky, my nostrils taking in the wild scene of the sea.

I angled my wings to catch the gentle winds around the mountain, as it I were positioning myself to catch a current to travel faster in the ocean.

The waves were still crashing against the mountain as I flew around it.

It was peaceful, and there was no smell of dragons in the vicinity.

Too peaceful, in fact.

As I let the wind carry me its gentle currents around the mountain, I could hear wingbeats behind me.

Mother? Or another dragon?

I turned around, and I noticed that Ashes and Firehead were following me.

The black dragon soared down to me, and I gave her a look.

Her sky-creature was sitting on the back of her neck, hoping she couldn't suddenly jerk away from something and send him plummeting to his death.

She noticed me. "What?"

I didn't say anything. My face spoke more than words could articulate.

"Oh", she said, "you think that I'm here with Vulcan to destroy the planet."

I nodded.

"To be fair, there have always been power grabs throughout history."

"But none as aggressive as yours."

She didn't respond.

Gotcha.

The two of us flew around the mountain and its peaks for a bit before the sky during a dark blue color.

Dawn was coming soon, and birds will start calling to each other.

To quote Kestrel from The Depths of the Ocean: "I learned that birds sung at dawn, because the cool air carried their songs over long distances."

The sky faded from dark blue to grey, and the birds started singing.

These was seabirds exclusively extant to the Mountain Claws, able to perch on the oceanic mountains' rocks and resist its shifting skies like StormWings.

Their calls were like Swell's voice when he first saw dawn last sunrise.

"Squrk!" Firehead chirped when he heard the birds, as if he hadn't heard them in his entire life.