Chapter 8 (T.T.)

"Moraine!" Peak shrieked as blood spurted out from the dragon's neck. He tried to pry whatever was on the back of neck off her with his claws.

I turned and saw that teeth had lodged themselves into the dragon's neck, and those teeth belonged to the same dragon that had snatched the box out the sky last night.

This was a VolcanoWing assassin, and they had their jaws firmly planted on the back of Moraine's neck.

As I jumped over the back of the long chair, the black dragon let go and bolted out the cave. I followed them, hoping that this dragon would provide some answers about the Vulcan.

As I followed the assassin through the tunnels that wound throughout the mountain, I realized that these tunnels weren't like the ones Vent showed us through – those that went back into the palace.

These tunnels headed somewhere else. Perhaps to the outside world or the funeral peak?

Turning a corner into a tunnel the assassin went through, I nearly crashed in a StormWing carrying a basket. I stopped myself in front them, stubbing my claws on the stone.

"Ow" I hissed at myself.

The StormWing looked at me, stunned yet befuddled. "Are you okay?"

I looked around, not even answering them. Where did you go?

"Are you lost?"

No answer from me.

"Did something happen?"

I didn't answer them again. I sniffed the air, hoping to get a whiff of that VolcanoWing's scent.

The intersection mainly smelled of StormWings, but there was a hint of VolcanoWing... There!

I bolted past the StormWing into the tunnel, which had a gradual upward slope. As I raced up the tunnel, I could hear waves crashing against each other from outside.

I was close to the sea, and the VolcanoWing would be arrested there.

When I reached the top of the tunnel, I could see the VolcanoWing was at the mouth of it, near the sea. But they were surrounded by... OceanWings? What were these dragons doing here?

"Where are they?" a green dragon demanded the assassin.

The assassin just shook their head. "Like I said, I don't know who 'they' are. You're asking the wrong dragon."

"Do you know where you last saw them?"

"In the gathering area, deep in the mountain."

"How do we get there?"

The assassin gave them a look. "Why are you asking me this?"

'Should we...?', the green dragon flashed to a green-brown dragon. They nodded, and the green dragon explained all to the VolcanoWing as the green-brown dragon turned around, supposedly looking for someone else, and spotted me.

"The dragons we are searching for are here, and they've wronged us for generations. They've ripped our families apart, starved us, killed those who speak the truth."

'There!' the dragon flashed with their tail stripes to the others and charged at me.

Crap!

I spun around to flee back into the mountain, but a hood that smelled of underwater plants was shoved over my head, and stumbled to the ground, nearly tumbling back down the tunnel. It was dark like the deepest blue, but greener.

As I landed on the floor, I heard a crack come from my chest, and panic shot through me. Had the egg broken? Did I just kill my little sibling?

I clawed the back of the hood, but I felt talons on it, meaning that someone was trying to hold it down onto me. But why?