12. Angry Passion

I'm coming back to edit this but enjoy for now ☺️

───────────────

  Nick nudged me with his shoulder, laughing from the movie playing on his giant TV. "I don't care what anyone says, Adam Sandler is one of the greatest actors of our time."

  I was laughing, too and it felt good to laugh. Thursday evenings with Nick were quickly becoming my favourite time in the week. "I know. I've always loved his movies."

  I would normally have been home by now but after we spent two hours studying and I was getting ready to pack my things, Nick begged me to stay and watch a movie. He even promised me snacks and popcorn to entice me. I couldn't say no after that and now I was happy I stayed.

  His large brown sofa was so comfortable and I felt at home curled up in the corner of it. Nick was next to me, a bowl of popcorn in his lap. I kept burying my hand in the popcorn, stealing fistfuls. I just couldn't help myself when it came to sweet popcorn.

  Alex hadn't made another appearance yesterday or today and something told me I wouldn't see him again until next Friday for a dress fitting. That was fine by me though and I pushed all thoughts of him and my dark future from my mind as I relaxed beside Nick.

  His black eye had turned a horrible shade of yellow but it was fading and that was good. He didn't even give Easton a taste of his own medicine when the jerk showed up to college yesterday. But that was their business. When I get him alone, I plan on demanding him why he felt the need to hit Nick.

  Nick's phone buzzes from his pant pocket. He takes it out and says, "It's my mum. I'll just be a minute."

  I nod and wait until he's out in the hallway before grabbing the bowl of popcorn and helping myself to more. Nick pokes his head round the corner and points at me like I'm being a naughty child. "Don't eat all my popcorn. I'm watching you."

  I give him a innocent smile and then when he disappears again, I continue stuffing my face.

When Nick comes back into the room the popcorn is now only half full. "Fuck, Brielle! How do you eat so fast?"

I laugh, spitting out bits of popcorn as I do.

"You might as well have at the rest of it. I've got to go pick up my mum. Apparently, Brenda got too drunk to drive them home. The bitch was supposed to stay sober."

I'm wiping my mouth with the back of my hand when Nick takes his mum's car keys out of the glass bowl on the table. "Will you be okay to stay here? I won't be long."

"Yeah, of course just make sure to give Brenda a spank for being so irresponsible."

Nick laughs. "That's her husband's job but I'll make sure to pass it on."

Nick walks out the door, so I resume eating his popcorn and watching the movie until the bowl's empty. I mindlessly grab my glass to take a drink when I realise it's empty. Sighing, I pause the film and make my way to the kitchen to pour myself some cold water from the fridge. I'm gulping it down when the glass door slides open and in walks Easton.

Finished with the water, I pour some more and then place the bottle in the fridge, keeping my eyes off Easton whose gaze is burning the side of my face.

He finally speaks when I break down and look back at him. "Getting into any trouble with strangers lately or did you learn your lesson?"

I give him a hateful glare and answer his question with another. "You punched Nick. Why?"