4. Are you asking for a job?

Another chapter for you guys and I hope you enjoy!

➽───────────────❥

It was a chilly morning as I walked across town by myself. It was still sunny but the cool breeze kept making me shiver. I should have known I'd need more layers than a long sleeve blouse but I was fooled by the sun shining through my bedroom window this morning.

    Oh well, you live and learn I guess.

    I cross my arms and start rubbing them to get some warmth into my body as I head for town. It was finally Saturday and I was glad about it. College has been driving me insane and I never realised how hard math was when you actually wanted to pass.

    The bright side is that at least I haven't had to deal with that jerk I sit next to in English. In fact, Easton has been MIA from school since Thursday morning, the morning after I bumped into him in Nick's house. Whatever the reason was for his absence, he had taken Nick with him. I assume Enzo is with them as well but he's in none of my classes so I can't say he's with them for certain but it's a high possibility.

    I was angry with Nick because of it. We were supposed to get together on Friday to get more of our project done and I had even texted him to see if I could come over and the dick blanked me. He didn't even have the decency to text me back and I was fucking annoyed.

    He better have a good excuse when I next see him.

I finally reach the town and start looking at shop windows, hoping to see a sign that someone is hiring.

A job wasn't really necessary for me because my dad would send me money all the time while he was away to cover my basic expenses but he'd also use it to punish me when my sister was forced to tell him about my many fuck-ups. He would refuse to give me any money and would hand it to my sister to buy me lunch he knew I'd despise. Fortunately for me, my sister was a softie and would buy me food she knew my dad said I couldn't have but she just couldn't say no to her adorable little sister.

So yeah, I didn't need a job but I wanted one because I'm almost eighteen now and it would be good for me to gain some independence and of course extra money that my dad could no longer use to control me. And it also wasn't fair on him to put all his parental responsibilities on my sister. She needed to live her own life and stop worrying about me but it just wasn't in her to do that.

I walk past several shops and frown when not one of them has a 'We're hiring' sign. I do the next best thing and walk in a few anyway, hoping if I ask they might actually have a position for someone like me.

I walked into about five places and every excuse as to why they couldn't hire me was different every time.

"We haven't got any available vacancies right now but try again on Monday."

"You look fifteen. We don't hire underage children at our establishment and we pride ourselves on that."

"You'll have to ask my manager but they're really busy and I'm not going to be the one to interrupt them."

"Believe me, you don't want to work here. I'd avoid this place like the plague. I only work here because my mum's forcing me to pay rent."