9. Birthdays are Overrated

Chapter 9 is here so Enjoy! 

───────────────

     "Bri! Wakey, wakey."

     I groaned and was startled by the bright light hitting my face when my sister pulled open my curtains. "Go away." It was Saturday, and I was exhausted.

     Ashley pulled off my covers and I didn't have the energy to fight her for them. I groaned and looked at her with half-lidded eyes to find she was grinning from ear to ear.

     My head turned to my open bedroom door to see Ace walking in with a breakfast tray. "Happy birthday, Bri!"

     I sat up, blinking a few times to adjust to the brightness so I could look at Ashley and Ace properly.

     I completely forgot my birthday was today. I wasn't a big fan of my birthday and we normally kept things lowkey. A Chinese take-out and my favourite movie Titanic would be on TV.

     "Careful, the bacon is still really hot," Ace warned, placing the tray in my lap.

     "Thank you." I smiled at the smell of bacon, toast, eggs, hash brown and sausages. "Ace, this all looks so yummy."

     "I am quite the chef in the kitchen," He joked, making my sister roll her eyes.

     "I guess I'll let you cook dinner more often in future," My sister teased. Ace shook his head like it was the worst idea ever, making us both laugh.

     I cut into my bacon and took a bite before Ashley gleefully placed a thin box next to me.

     "What's this?" I eyed her with suspicion because she looked way too excited about whatever was in the box.

     "Quick. Open it."

     I placed my breakfast tray on the other side of my bed and took the box with both hands into my lap. "You didn't go over the top, did you?"

     "Oh, I totally did but you only turn eighteen once," she said.

     From the door, Ace added, "When doesn't your sister go over the top." My sister gave him a narrowed glance, Ace lifted his hands in surrender.

     I opened the box and was startled at the beautiful dress inside. "Oh, Ash." I pulled it out so I could see it better.

     "Do you like it?"

     My fingers caressed the smooth silk dress, the colour of rose gold. It was a stunning bodycon dress that would hug my curves tightly, and the colour was so me.

     "I love it!" I told my sister, hugging her. "I don't know when I'll ever have the chance to wear it—"

     "I'm taking you out tonight, Bri. You're wearing it out with me and my friends."

     I pulled back, looking between her and Ace. Ace didn't seem as excited about it as my sister did, but he didn't have any rebuttal. Ash must have worn him down already.

     "Where are we going?" My sister barely ever let me do anything like go out partying, but I guess because it was my eighteenth, she wanted me to have a good time.

     "My friend, Stacey is having a giant house party, and she's going to have a live DJ there, too."

     I had only met Ash's friend Stacey a handful of times, and I gathered she was a party animal with a wild fashion sense. She and my sister normally teamed up when they fancied a good night out.