Love Song

Love song - 311.

A couple of months passed, and Joel and I had gotten closer.

We were outside, Tess had fallen ill, and she wasn't bitten or anything, thank God. But she was sent away to be quarantined.

Joel helped with laundry, and we talked and laughed until Adam came up to us.

"Hello, beautiful." He says. I roll my eyes in annoyance before looking up at him.

"Adam, your basket is not done, I'll catch up to you when it is. This is the third time I have told you." I say, continuing to scrub clothes.

"Well, can I at least stay with you, I'm sure you dont want to be alone during times like this." He says.

"Well, if you looked anywhere besides my breasts, maybe you would have noticed Joel here."  I say pointing to Joel.

Joel nods at him. I could tell he was pissed off. "Oh, come on, you know you want to be near me. Your big bad husband isn't gonna do anything six feet under. Marry a real man who can actually get you a ring that will look good, you cant even see the diamond on that one. I thought you were wearing his wedding ring." Adam says. I clench my fist, i was about to swing on this piece of shit but Joel stopped me. Joel rests his hand on my shoulder.

"I think you better get the hell out of here." Joel says roughly. "What are you gonna do about -"

Joel stands up and slams Adam into the wall. "I'll fucking show you." He says.

"Miller. Benson, separate." One of the soldiers said.

Joel shoves Adam in the wall and backs off. "Are you ok?" Joel asks. I sigh. "Yeah. I just already want to get this day over with." I say. "Understandable."

We finish laundry and pass out the basket. "Here you go Mr. 128" I say.

"Ans here you go, Mrs. 49." He says. "It's not even 2pm and you finished 128 baskets of laundry." Linda says. "I had some help." I say. "Well, right on time, come on." She says. "I'll take your basket to your house." Joel says, taking my basket.

"Thank you Joel, come on, Rodriguez." Linda says.

I sigh and go with her. We get to her office.

"So how have you been feeling?" She asks. "Okay." I say. "Y/n." She says. "Not the greatest, but I'm still cruising by, it's just hard without John since he was my pain relief, you know? He was my husband, I love him dearly, and it just hurt having to lose him without getting a chance to say goodbye." I say.

"I saw what had happened earlier. Is everything alright?" She asks. "Yeah, Adam is just not the nicest person when I'm trying to work, I catch him staring at me all the time, I just have an aching feeling he isn't gonna stop, that he is gonna get more aggressive. I'm especially worried that Joel will get hurt since he defended me today." I say.

"If you feel like he is going to attack or anything, please let me or one of the soldiers know, we will take care of him. Besides that, you and Joel? What is going on there?" She asks.

"We are friends. We were friends in elementary school through high school, we took a bit of a break, life got ahead of us, and we both had separate lives." I say. She nods

An hour passed, and she let me go. I get to my apartment and see Joel sitting outside the door.

"Hey." I say. He looks at me. "Hi." He says.

"What are you doing?" I ask. "I was wondering if I could hang out with you, I'm bored as hell right now." He says.

"Come on, grumpy." I say. "I'm not grumpy." He says, walking in.