is it fate, or is it hormones

Start from the beginning

Remus looked about to seconds away from combusting, but threw his hands up in a gesture of leaning no harm. For a moment he thought she was joking, till he saw the cross expression lacing her features as she crossed her arms. He could read her like an open book, and he could tell by the way her eyebrows were furrowed she really was upset.

"Oh come on Ave," he tried to reason, nudging her in the arm. "Do you know how many people Mcgonagall has probably caught snogging in the hallway? Sure it's a bit embarrassing, but it's not the end of the world."

As he said his mind was running through every possible scenario as to what was going through her mind, as his eyes greedily scanned over her face, trying to read it like a map to understand her more.

"It's not just—," She tired, the stopped herself and let out an irritated sigh. "Nevermind, your right."

Except her tone was still sharp and she turned to walk the hall without as much as a look at him. Her posture much too upright as her eyebrows never did unfurrow.

"Woah woah wait," he called, jogging a few steps to catch up to her and grabbing her arm. He turned her to face him, the boy looking down at the girl with much thought behind his brown eyes. "Tell me what's the matter."

"It's nothing," she said to him, though he could tell by the tone of her voice it really wasn't nothing. "Just leave it."

"Come on Aveline, I can see it your eyes something is bothering you. Just tell me. It's really not a big deal."

"I said just leave it," she snapped, and this time he could clearly hear the anger in her voice as she clenched her jaw, avoiding eye contact as best as she possibly could.

"Don't be like that, just tell me," he said again, not letting go of her arm.

She groaned in frustration, letting out a heavy breath as she took a step away.

"So this all really a joke to you then?" She finally said, motioning between them.

She finally looked up to meet eyes with him, and he could've sworn he saw the blue iris's threatening to overlow with tears.

"What do you mean—"

"I mean you seem to be fine with people catching us just snogging, and like.." she paused, at a lost for words.

It wasn't often that Aveline Rosier didn't know what to say, and Remus watched in alarm as she ran a hand through hair, biting her lip as she thought.

"I guess I thought I was more then just a snog to you."

Her tone was shaky, as if her voice was the earths surface and her emotion was the rocky earthquake causing it break and fracture. He could see it in her face so clearly— the face he could read like a wide open book— she was trying to hide her emotions from him.

But he could see the clear as day— despair, pain, hurt— painted across her pretty features all in the name of him.

That was the thing wasn't it ?

Remus was so certain that no matter what, he could only bring pain into her life.