Thirty Six

THE CONTENT IS INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES. THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS DEPICTIONS OR STRONG IMPLICATIONS OF THE FOLLOWING:

. CHILD ABUSE

Chapter 36

"I'm here," Angelina whispered, wrapping her arms around his trembling body.

"Please don't ever leave me," Nathaniel mumbled, shaky, trembling in fear as his face was pale. He grabbed her hand tightly, feeling himself back in the hell hole.

Nathaniel's heart beat loudly while constricted in his ribcage, burying his head in between her neck and breathing her heavenly scent, which was calming him down. He couldn't wait to get off the ride; he was scared of it but decided to ride because of her. Because he didn't want to see the sadness in her gray orbs, he found himself addicted to looking at them.

Like God heard his silent whimpers and distress, the ride came to an end, and he abruptly stood up, running away from it.

Angelina was biting her lips furiously in guilt as she noticed the change in his beating when he rested his head on her shoulder and caressed his side soothingly. When the ride ended, the sun was already pinkish-yellow - the sun was setting back to the horizon.

Angelina yanked the seat belt away, quickly waved goodbye to Eric, and ran after Nathaniel. Angelina saw him crouched on the ground with his head in between his thigh as his body shook like he was rocking himself, searching for comfort.

The sun had disappeared from the sky, and everything was dark except the twinkling stars and the light that was illuminating them.

"Nathaniel," she called softly, walking towards him slowly, not to startle him; it was like he was in another world of his, beside a big tree. She got closer to him and raised his head to see the rim of his eyes were bloodshot, his hair was messy, and distress was written all over his face.

He was scared-No terrified.

Angelina's heart tugged worriedly, and she wrapped her arms around him to comfort him, humming the song her father always sang for her whenever she was done. She thought she was the only one who had a vulnerable side.

Nathaniel's mind was going in and out of memories and reality. Memories were most brutal to forget and come when least expected. He least expected them to come rushing back now.

He remembered that unfortunate day which was engraved to his soul like a second body; he was a kid, around ten years, while Nicholas was twelve years old when he was kidnapped by Nicholas' family rival. All of them- he, Nick, Bella, and other kids were playing in this very playground while little Hayden was with his mother and Jasmine at the other side of the park, buying candies for the children.

They were playing hide and seek when it was his turn. He went behind the very big tree, laughing happily as he could hear the kids' cheerful sounds and Bell's giggle. He called out the number when the last number was at the tip of his tongue, and he was grabbed from behind roughly. His eyes widened in fear, opened his mouth to shout for help when he was chloroformed.

Later, he woke up disoriented; he groaned painfully, his head pounding and throbbing; he tried to raise his hand to ease the pain when he saw he had been tied around a chair. His hands were bound to the seat.

He screamed at the top of his voice panickily, screaming for help, fighting against the restraint when the door was opened. He stopped and stared at three bigger men who entered with the mask on.

"Shut up, kid! Your voice is irritating me," a man growled, slapping him hard across his face as he tasted the metallic liquid on his lips. He had never been hit or beaten, and he screamed again only to be given another slap. He quieted his tears, his body shaking from the pain. Heart beating frantically in fear.