Twenty Two

Chapter 22

"It's okay," Angelina whispered softly, trying to reassure him that she was okay, but it was like she was the one who needed the assurance. The man's face was unrecognisable, and his face was a bloody mess. What would've happened if Nathaniel was not around? She shivered in disgust, yet he came and protected her.

Nathaniel was hurt by her taking a step away from him when all he wanted was to comfort her that everything was okay, but all he intended went wrong.

He breathed heavily, his knuckles stung from the punches, but that wasn't what was in his mind; it was the least in his mind. What is pleasure without pain? All the anger he was feeling earlier has vanished away and what remained was remorse and sadness for showing his angel his other side.

She wouldn't want to be with him again when she just started to get comfortable with him. He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, and he fucked up again.

He kept making a mess again and again, one after the other, after he promised to make it work between them.

"I failed again, mom," he muttered to himself. His mother had made him swear to make it work between them even though he wanted it to. His mother has taken a liking to her as he, too, was head over heels for her.

"Son," he remembered his mom pulling him away last night when they were going to the dining room.

"Don't let that girl go," her mom whispered, "she's a gem, I like her already, and I want you to make it work between both of you" Jasmine touched his cheek adoringly, "Never let her go because—" his mother's voice was low, sadness could be detected in her voice.

"Promise me," his mother took his right hand and placed it on her head, staring at him with tears glistened eyes which surprised him.

"I promised mom," he kissed her cheeks quickly because he couldn't wait to be with his Angel.

Angelina saw him tensed. His shoulder was hunched, then he was clenching, his fist turning white as many emotions swirled in his eyes, but what was prominent was regret and sadness. She opened her mouth to talk, but he bit her to it, "I understand," he said, gulping softly as his gaze softened before turning on his feet to where the plane was.

She was dumbfounded; what did he mean by understanding? Understand what? She was lost in his unexplained word.

"I don't get you?" she voiced out her thought, trailing behind him with confusion-furrowed brows, her steps coming short from his long legs.

He stopped abruptly, making her hit her head with his hard back as she glared annoyingly at the culprit. She didn't understand him, and he was teasing her before then he became aloof all of a sudden.

He turned to face her, "If you don't want to talk or be with me—" he started with a pinch of sadness, and she interrupted him immediately before he could continue his statement by raising her brow.

"What?!" she exclaimed. Who says I don't want to be with you?" she asked with widened eyes, moving her hands exasperatedly, "You are my freaking knight in shining, Adonis," she stated before using her hands to cover her mouth shut. When did she become this?

Freaking knight?!

Shining Adonis?!

Are those words correlating?!

Nathaniel's body shook with laughter, and his lips stretched as his eyes squinted, staring at Angelina, who was red like a ripened apple and was looking everywhere but not at him.

Perfect! Thank God the feeling is mutual, he thought.

"Oh shining Adonis, Uhn?" he teased while she glared at him, biting her lips, pouting and huffing fake-annoying. He laughed out again, and then his face turned serious, "I thought you hated me or were afraid of me with what you saw earlier," he said.

Angelina now fully understood the reason for his weird behaviour earlier. She saw the uncertainty and doubt in his eyes, then smiled softly, changing the subject to a light one. She wanted to hear him laugh again because his laughs were like music to her ears.

"Afraid?" she scrunched her face, "I ain't afraid of anything," she boasted, beating her chest playfully in King Kong's style.

"Oh?" he raised his brow, smirking, "Superwoman?" he mocked slyly.

"Yeah," she nodded, beaming happily.

"Cockroach!" he pointed between her feet while Angelina released a high-pitched voice fearfully as she jumped on his already opened arms. She whipped her head around, looking for any signs of a flying cockroach as Nathaniel tried hard to slim down his laughter that wanted to escape.

"Meany," she scowled, gingerly wanting to get down, but Nathaniel being Nathaniel, didn't want to lose the opportunity to carry her as he carried her bridal style.

He cradled her gently in his arms in a long stride, going where the private jet was. Angelina meekly checked him out, gazing at him through her long eyelashes. His smooth, firm jaw which showed manliness as she stared from his pointed nose to his eyes, then stopped at his pink lips. Her breathing ragged as she gulped nervously, feeling her body heat up unexpectedly.

"Are you done, love?" he asked her with a sly smile. He liked the look of her eyes on him, the attention on him as if he was the only one she should think of.

Love— her heart nearly came out of the cage as her eyes widened with the endearment. Her body was stiff on his arms, trying to process the word before relaxing with her cheeks red as rage.

Well, he didn't mean to let it slip, but it had, and he didn't regret it. His mouth and heart worked quicker whenever she was within arm's length than his brain and mind.

She cleared her throat, not to make it awkward between them, "I'm not staring!" she defended in a small shaky voice, downcasting her head. She didn't mean to get caught, but what could she do when a beautiful specimen was carrying her—carrying her!

"Oh," he laughed, "I see, you are not starting?" he asked playfulness in his tone, "But you are eye—candy-ing me like a candy you want to devour," he teased, loving the redness for her cheeks.

"Stop," she whined. It was just a few days since they did their wedding, but she was comfortable talking to him. He was gentle and her very first male friend because her father made all boys run away from her.

"Okay ma'am," he bowed dramatically.

She buried her face in his chest when she saw men in suits waiting for Nathaniel as they bowed.

She felt uncomfortable and started wiggling from his grip, yet he didn't yield. She was feeling self-conscious around the men who were looking emotionless. Even though she knew Nathaniel would protect her, her brain and anxiety couldn't sit well with unknown men.

"Shh, sweetheart," he coaxed her, dismissing the men with a wave of a hand, "nothing would happen to you here," she whispered softly before his eyes twinkled with mischief, "as long as your freaking knight in shining Adonis is around," he winked but didn't get a reaction from her. He noticed the subtle change in her when she saw the men.

The comfortable talk was long gone between them as he carried her in. She didn't respond to him rhetorically or tease him. She didn't eye him or anything. She looked away from him and stared at distance which broke him.

What has he done wrong?!