55

The conversation had reached its pinnacle, every word spoken hanging in the air with profound weight. And then he invited himself in, striding confidently into the room and occupying the plush couch. His hand extended, a gesture both inviting and reassuring, aimed at the young boy who stood there, observing his every move with wide-eyed curiosity. The young boy, Inizio Ferrari, a name carefully chosen by his mother as a symbol of the miracle and hope that he was in her life.

"Inizio, baby, come here," he beckoned, his tone transitioning from demanding to gentle, a subtle shift in his approach. The pairs of obsidian eyes, belonging to Inizio, observed the tall man's actions with a mixture of curiosity and caution.

Inizio took his time, his gaze alternating between the man's outstretched hand and his face. Finally, he shook his head, a negation of the man's invitation, before speaking. "Mama said no meeting strangers."

Strangers, that was the first word Inizio used to describe the man standing before him on their first meeting, all because of what his mother had told him. Venezio, felt a pang of tightness in his chest as he witnessed his own baby's hesitation, his eyes searching for confirmation from his Nona, the old woman who stood silently in the background.

A wave of pity washed over old woman's heart, when she saw Venezio's ardent approach towards Inizio, his eyes filled with a sense of longing and remorse. No matter the state of their relationship, the bond of blood between a parent and child had a profound impact on them, even if they were no longer together. The love of parenthood still resided within them.

Inizio's Nona nodded subtly, encouraging Inizio to not maintain too much formality in his interaction with his own father. Taking a step forward, Inizio extended his tiny hand for a handshake, causing Venezio to chuckle at his formal manners. "Who are you?" Inizio asked, his innocent curiosity shining through.

"I'm your daddy," Venezio replied with a small smile, pulling Inizio closer and enveloping him in a warm embrace. His eyes closed, a visible sign of the pain and relief coursing through his being, as he experienced the touch of his son for the first time in years. Inizio, still unsure and confused, frowned at him, prompting Venezio to sit down with Inizio in his lap, showering him with kisses.

The old woman stood witness to the profound love of a father for his child, as she observed the sorrow and longing in Venezio's grey eyes. Inizio, caught in a strong dilemma, questioned whether this man truly was his father.

"But mama said I have no father," confusion laced Inizio's words, igniting a spark of fury within Venezio. His own child hadn't been given a proper answer about his father.

"Is that what she said?" Venezio turned to Inizio, seeking confirmation.

Inizio nodded, his eyes filled with uncertainty.

"She was upset, that's why she didn't tell you the whole truth. I'm sorry, baby, for not coming earlier," Venezio's voice carried an undercurrent of truth and raw anger, revealing a side of him that he rarely showed to anyone, even to Celia during their time together.

"You upset her?" Inizio tilted his head, his disappointment evident in his pout. Venezio shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe."

"You came so late. Why?" Inizio's disappointment turned into a questioning pout, his large doe eyes searching for answers.

"I know, baby, but now I'll never leave you again," Venezio reassured him, kissing Inizio's palm and gently caressing his head.

"Are you really my daddy?" Inizio poked his finger into Venezio's muscular biceps.

"Yes, I am," Venezio nodded with a small smile.

"You won't lie," Inizio's face turned red, and dampness glistened in his obsidian eyes.