Chapter 5: Enigma of the Courtyard

──────────

Rewritten Version

─────Weeks later─────

You slowly awoke from your sleepy state as you peered over to your side, realizing it was still very early in the morning. You yawned into your palm and snuggled back to your pillow, giving yourself a few more minutes before waking up for the day. With a little, exhausted groan, you sat up on the edge of your bed and stretched your arms, before walking to your wardrobe to get ready.

You took your uniform from the hanger, and with half open eyes, you got into your maid dress, knowing you weren't allowed to walk in the castle without your attire on. After putting on your black heels, you hurried down the stairs to the kitchen to prepare some morning tea for yourself before the rest of the castle woke up.

Every day, the maids wake up at 07:30 a.m. and start work at 08:00 a.m. Loana is always the first servant to get up. With her responsibility to prepare breakfast for the ladies as well as lunch and dinner in the evening, it was a well-known rule to always be on time for your duties, which Catalin drilled into your mind, making sure you were awake at the right hours.

While the water was boiling in the stove kettle, you looked around the neat and tidy kitchen as you heard the birds singing on the courtyard branches. As you waited for the water, you chose your favorite flavor wooden tea box and dropped some sugar into the mug before going to the dining room.

You blew lightly against the mug as you headed to the dining room, carefully pushing the double door with your back while sipping on your tea. You sat next lady's red dining chair, narrowing your gaze to the windows that revealed the beautiful courtyard garden, the sunrise beaming above the flowers as you approached the windows. With a brief glance over your shoulder, you slowly opened the double door and wandered into the garden, knowing you weren't supposed to walk into the courtyard unless you needed to get to lady's private chamber.

You paused in your tracks, casting your gaze across the green garden. You drew a deep breath and gazed at the person seated on the stone bench. 'Daniela?' You stared at the person in black before returning your gaze to the courtyard door, unsure whether to approach the person who appeared to be Daniela to you as you glimmed over her cloak dress or to leave the garden.

With hesitant, slow steps, you approach her by the bench with a small, bright smile, pleased to see her again. "Goodmorning, Daniela." You said with a little grin, taking a seat near her while observing her play with a white flower in her gloved hands.

She narrowed her head up at you with a raised eyebrow. "Daniela?" Her tone was somewhat bitter and slightly annoyed as she spoke to you.

Your eyes widen as you lock eyes with the blonde girl who has always poked you around and bothered you from the very beginning. With slightly shocked eyes, you looked over hers, which were frowning and cold.

"O-.. oh, I apologize dearly, Miss. I mistook you for lady Daniela." You stuttered anxiously, your teacup quivering beneath your fingers. She rolled her eyes and returned her gaze to the flower, choosing to remain silent and ignore your presence. You glanced at her worriedly, leaning forward. "I-.. is everything alright, my lady?" You asked uncertainty as her face seemed down, not really the mean bullying girl you remembered.

She groaned, frustrated. "Ugh, you're annoying. What do you want, maid?"

You leaned back, terrified, as she snapped at you. "O- oh, uhm, I am sorry. I didn't want to upset you, my lady." You stuttered out your lungs.

She casted a glance at your shaking hands, then back at your anxious face. "You know you're not allowed in the courtyard. right?"

You nodded your head as you stood up from the bench. "Y- yes, my lady. I apolog-"