xlviii. don't be silly

TW: Suicide, overdose

"Mom?"

Rowan stood in the entryway of the living room in her childhood house. The place looked exactly how it used to be before everything went to shit. Candles were lit and smelled like vanilla and cinnamon. The windows were open and let sunlight shine through. 

Her mother sat on the worn-out couch, not foaming at the mouth and seizing next to it. No, she was sitting on the couch reading a book.

"Yes, honey?" Her mother's angelic voice sounded out in the quiet room. Rowan understood why her father fell in love with her. She was kind and caring, everything he was not. 

Annie Blake was a loving soul with warm, brown eyes and auburn hair. She had a few wrinkles, revealing her age. She looked just like she would have if drugs never killed her.

Rowan took a cautious step forward, her hands shaking slightly, "Y-you're here?"

Her laugh made the girl feel all warm inside, "Where else would I be, silly?"

The daughter slowly walked forward, sitting down next to her on the couch. She finally saw what she was reading and tears gradually filled her eyes, making her eyesight blurry.

"You used to read me that book all the time."

Annie smiled sweetly and looked at the cover, "Of course, Little Women is one of the greatest books of all time. It just shows how strong sisterhood truly is and I just want the same for you and Kennedy." Rowan nodded, too scared her voice would turn into a sob if she tried to speak, "Y'know, your father once tried to tell me that women shouldn't be interested in reading books such as these, but he was crazy, that one was. Women are just as capable as men, probably even more!"

The brunette girl nodded, laughing as her mother ranted about equality. How Rowan would have loved to have this version of her mother when she was little.

She cleared her throat, hating to break the happy mood, "Do-do you know where Father might be?" Rowan didn't know where she ended there, but she immediately knew it was her father who put her in this simulation.

Annie pursed her lips and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Are you feeling alright?" Rowan just nodded, waiting for her answer, "Honey, your father's dead."

The girl's jaw dropped, but she immediately composed herself. She didn't know whether to cry with joy or scream out in happiness.

"Right." She cleared her throat, "Where's Ken?"

Annie pointed to the door where her sister once hung, dead. Rowan gulped and stood up, walking over to it. Once she finally built up enough courage, the girl opened it up and it revealed to have Kennedy and Blair chatting on her bed.

Rowan's stomach dropped as their eyes landed on her. Kennedy began to groan, "I said leave me alone, you demon spawn!" 

"No fighting, you two!" Her mother's voice came from the other room.

Kennedy stood in front of the girl with her hands on her hips, "You better be lucky mom's here or you'd be dead." Even though her sister just threatened her, Rowan's lips turned upward.

Kennedy was alive and happy. Her mother was alive and content. Her father was dead. Life couldn't get any better.

"You're here." Rowan breathed out a sigh of relief, "I can't believe it."