21: where'd all the time go

*TIME SKIP 1 YEAR*

REINA'S POV

"what braid colour am i getting? none of you guys are useful." adora whined, desperately waving her bright phone in our faces. this grandmother of a friend was using light mode on full brightness.

"let us rest." bukayo sighed, a playful smile resting on his face.

it had been over a year since i met jude; a year since euros, a year since the whole vanessa fiasco, a year since my dms were replied to.

a year since england had lost the euro cup finals, a year since the racist abuse that the coloured players faced - but now, they had another chance to redeem themselves.

we were approaching the world cup, 2022 game. it was being held in qatar, and my friends and i had saved up enough for tickets to attend. to give them our full support.

the friend group had become a small family; we all got along and co-operated amazingly, like we were locked in. like our relationship was destined.

"can't wait to see gio in his usa kit; all cute and american." jude gushed, before slirping this juice box - what a child.

"gio reyna? he's so fine." nicolette replied. jude flipped her off, indicating that giovanni was his. i giggled.

oh, did i mention? jude and i are dating.

"is qatar hot? or is it like a cold country, cuz i need to know what to pack. i've got some absolute gas outfits in mind." jobe announced, folding his arms in admiration of his suitcase.

malika slowly raised a pair of spongebob squarepants boxers from his disorganized suitcase.

"this is gas?" my cousin snorted, tossing them at his face. the group errupted in obnoxious laughter, as jobe shamefully pulled down the underwear from his face.

"ay, stop bullying." he chuckled, lightly shoving his girlfriend.

for a moment, i spaced out - a sudden wave of derealization washed over me, like a tsunami of self-awareness. i observed my friend group, my cousin malika, my boyfriend, jude bellingham. it all felt a bit... fuzzy?

like a vivid dream.

the warmth of jude's hand was sudden against my thigh - my breath slightly hitched.

"you alright, my love?" he whispered, his voice dripped with concern. i assured him i was fine, and gripped his hand, tightly.

the surrounding sounds and voices of my friends, stopped sounding muffled again, as i tuned my mind back into reality.

"what was that one youtube video you did with gio, on the dortmund channel?" malika asked jude, snapping her fingers as she tried to recall.

"it was 'who knows more.' it made me look so dumb; i swear, i know stuff!" he defended, earning taunting laughs from the rest of us.

"nah, it's not even funny." jude protsested further.