part lxvi

Word Count - 2,921 words

"Where is the princess?"

Eleanor's attendants were all surprised because of the emperor's sudden arrival.

The servants lowered their heads down, bowing to the emperor. Erwin nodded as he motioned for them to rise. The blond man looked at Eleanor's lady-in-waiting.

"Lady Irina? Where is princess Eleanor?"

Irina gulped as she kept her eyes on the emperor's shoes, feeling nervous and mind going blank as she doesn't know how to be able to answer the emperor with lies.

"T-the princess is in the royal library, your majesty...her highness didn't want anyone to accompany her, and so we stayed here."

Erwin raised a brow. "Is that so?"

"Y-yes, your majesty..."

The emperor knew immediately that the lady was lying, judging by how nervously Irina holds her own hands in her stomach, and the way she refuses to look at him.

Not to mention, she even stuttered, and only fools would not notice Irina's face that is turning pale from feeling so anxious.

"Lady Irina, you were chosen to become the princess' lady-in-waiting, and the head of her attendants. I clearly understand if you are trying to protect her from me, after all, she is the person you serve, not me. But I really need to see my daughter right now."

Lady Irina finally looked at him.

Her eyes are wide-open, mouth in agape.

Erwin flashed the lady a reassuring smile.
He also knows that the lady is intimidated  by him. Most of the people in the palace are intimidated by him. Only those who are close with him are carefree around him.

"F-forgive me for lying, your majesty!"

Lady Irina bowed her head, shutting her eyes. Bullets of sweat trickled down to the sides of her face. She's also on the verge
of tears, in fear that the emperor might execute her for lying straight in his face.

"It's just that her highness doesn't want anyone knowing what she's been up to since coming back here from Hizuru..."

Erwin's brows furrowed. "What is it?"

The lady let out a sigh, she apologized to Eleanor on the back of her mind for she is about to tell the emperor the truth.

"The p-princess...started knight training, your majesty...her highness wants to be a dame. Right now, she is outside the palace, t-training in her master's residence..."

--

Y/n picked up her tea cup, holding it by its handle. She raised a brow as she glanced up from reading on her paperwork, to look at the door because it suddenly opened.

The h/c-haired woman frowned at Erwin who walked in, without even knocking or asking for permission if he could come in.

"You might be the emperor, your majesty. But I am an empress, I deserve to be resp-"

"Y/n."

Y/n wasn't able to continue what she wanted to say upon seeing the serious look on her husband's face. Then it suddenly hit her. Ah...he must already know about his daughter. "Knock next time, your majesty. Please have a sit." The empress coldly said.

Erwin let out a deep sigh. He walked towards his wife who stood up from her seat, then sat down on her office chair.

"They told me you knew about Eleanor wanting to become a dame?" Erwin spoke.