Chapter Twenty-One

As tempted as I was to confront Haven, I couldn't. Somehow, Marigold would find out, and I wanted to avoid that conversation altogether.

There was also the fact that I could not absolutely say Haven had torn the pages from Beatrice's diary. That could've been Beatrice's own doing. My great grandmother was said to be mysterious and baffling for a reason, after all. Despite this, I couldn't fight back the possibility that Haven had a part in this. That smile of hers kept taunting me whenever I closed my eyes.

I decided to wait until nighttime and watch if Haven did anything. Philip and Elouise fell asleep early, which I thanked the Great Holy Deity for. I easily slipped out of our bedchamber and toward Haven's on the other side of the castle.

The corridors were empty and wide, so I hid behind the closest corner and peered around it. I wasn't certain what I expected to happen at first, and my blood went cold when I saw Haven's door open.

Haven peeked both ways before walking out and closing the door behind her. She walked confidently toward my direction, as if she had done this hundreds of times before.

I kept my back pressed against the wall and held my breath. She waltzed right past me without noticing, too focused on her own mission. I glared at her until she disappeared down the stairs. Although I got closer, I merely watched her leave through the front entrance.

"Your Majesty?" Lily addressed from behind. "Are you having trouble sleeping?"

"Haven," I said, squinting at the doors. "Do you have any idea where she wanders off to at this hour?"

"I do not. I had believed she was in her bed already."

"At girl her age should not be leaving so freely without an escort. Please see that a guard follows her."

"Yes, Your Majesty. Would you also like me to inform Lady Marigold about this?"

I turned around and smiled. "There is no need for that, Lily. I am taking care of this. I also need the guards posted out front questioned as to why they have been allowing Haven out at this hour. I worry that little girl is getting herself into unnecessary trouble."

"At such an awfully young age?" Lily sighed and shook her head. "She is very fortunate to have the Queen of Aristol watching over her." She then curtsied and promised to find a guard to carefully follow Haven.

I thanked her and retired to my bedchamber. It pained me being unable to be the one to follow Haven myself. However, being who I am, I'd certainly be escorted. And if the situation became dire, I wanted to avoid conflict simply because I was there. This way, if Haven was found somewhere suspicious, the guard would only ensure she returned home safely and report everything to me. I could figure out what to do from there without Marigold or Philip learning about anything.

Before slipping beneath the covers to welcome Philip's embrace, I gazed toward the window near Elouise's bassinet. The moonlight appeared brighter than usual, reminding me of the blinding orbs that were the Warrior Angels.

Moments like these, I found myself wishing I could return to a time where Edward had spoken to me about the angels. I wondered where he was. Would I ever see him again? Would he ever be my Edward again?

I sat on the edge of my bed and closed my eyes. My only hope—even now—was that he was alive. Wherever he was and whatever horrid act he could be doing, I wished him no harm at all. I wished him happiness and peace—something he had failed to grasp here with those who loved him.

---

We were awoken abruptly in the middle of the night. A guard came knocking at our door. Philip raced to the door and scolded Sir Fredrick for interrupting our rest.