Chapter Eleven

"Something appears to be bothering you, my sweet," my mother said. I forced myself to look over at where she sat at her desk. She continued to write, occasionally glancing up at me.

After a beat, I returned my gaze to the ash tree outside. It was in perfect view from the window bench.

"Marigold mentioned to me that the situation with the Interlopers has gotten worse," I finally said.

My mother paused and stared up at me with wide eyes. "What did she say, precisely?"

I sighed. "Most of them are frail and starving. They use violence to search for food, but it is only because of the way we treat them. Mother, we've always treated them like beasts. They are human—"

"Yet they choose not to behave like human beings," she snapped.

"Why would they?" I challenged, meeting her eyes. "If I was treated so lowly my entire life, I would not have such a kind heart either."

"Are these her words?" My mother huffed and set down her quill. "Honestly, that mother of hers puts too many ideas into her head."

"Marigold is a good person, Mother. She cares about people, no matter where they come from. That is one of the best traits a person—a human—can have. I'm mostly upset, however, that you did not tell me about this. I had a right to know."

"It was not a matter I wanted you apart of. I wanted to fix it before your coronation so that you wouldn't need to address it. It is a delicate matter, Tatianna. Your heart is large, and your skin is not thick. You would shatter at the sights if you saw them. See how you are right now from merely hearing about it. I was protecting you."

I blinked a few times before realizing what she had said. Then I stood up and glared at her. "You are saying I am not strong enough to handle my duties as queen? I can handle anything that comes my way, Mother. Yes, I may be more sensitive than you, but I can adjust and grow stronger if you gave me the chance."

"What would you do, then? If you were queen right now and had to handle this, what would you do?" A small and defeated smile formed on her face. "Because I have no clue what to do with this anymore."

I softened my expression and moved to sit in the chair in front of her desk. "Do you truly want my assistance?"

"The way you defended yourself just now reminded me of your bravery. I am sorry I did not tell you sooner. I was worried how you would react. I will not make the same mistake twice, my sweet. Do tell me what you would do?"

I grinned at her. "Thank you, Mother. First of all, have you attempted to write to their leader?"

"Yes. He has ignored each letter. It's been months now."

"Ah, of course." My mother's letters were often so formal and usually copies of other letters she had spent before. Although she had a wonderful speech, she never tried to make each letter personal to its receiver. I didn't doubt Lord Winslow sensed this with the letters and scoffed at them before having them burned.

"If it is alright with you, Mother," I said, "I would like to write to him. We can attempt this one more time before coming up with a different idea."

My mother raised her eyebrows. "If you so desire, very well." She handed me clean sheets of parchment, her quill, and her inkwell.

I scooted closer to the desk and tapped my chin as I considered how to begin. Then I smiled to myself as I dipped the quill's tip into the ink.

---

Much to no one's surprise, Edward wasn't present for supper.

"Where is my Edward?" Except for Grandmother Luciana. She entered the dining hall with a limp, which I immediately questioned. She waved me off and asked again where Edward was.

I glanced at Grandmother Luciana's handmaid who curtsied to me. Then she inched closer to me and whispered, "We found a strange lump on the bottom of her foot this morning. She blames these cold, cold marble floors."

I shielded my laugh behind my hand. That sounded like Grandmother Luciana. Susie curtsied to me one more time before hurrying to my grandmother's side.

Philip arrived next and greeted me with a kiss on the back of my hand. I did my best not to smile too hard.

"I do hope you've enjoyed yourself today," he said.

"The day is not quite over yet. I did have a wonderful moment with my mother, though." I tugged on my lace gloves and cleared my throat. Still, heat rushed to my face. "Ah... you should join me to watch the stars after we eat. I can tell you about my accomplishment."

His entire face lit up. "That sounds perfect."

We joined my parents at the table. It wasn't much long later that Marigold and Fayre joined us. We ate without waiting around for Edward, which didn't matter in the end. He never made an appearance. Fayre seemed to be in high spirits despite the argument. I wanted to reach over and touch her hand to assure her I was here for her. I worried how she would react if she knew that I had known all along.

Therefore, I let her be instead.

After the dishes were cleared and taken from our sights, Fayre and Marigold walked off together. I excused myself, and Philip followed suit.

We sat beneath the ash tree and stared at the stars peeking through the branches. He shared tales about the shapes in the stars and pointed a few out to me. Some were harder to decipher than others, but it was all beautiful, nonetheless. I told him about my conversation with my mother and the letter I had written to Lord Winslow.

"You are so thoughtful," he whispered.

I smiled softly. "I hope he reads it and appreciates my efforts. Everyone only wants to be heard."

He leaned in closer to me. I could feel the heat of his body radiating off him. Or... perhaps that was my own.

I am unsure what came over me next, but my wild heart couldn't stop me. "Should you kiss me right now, I will gladly return it."

Philip moved his hand to the back of my neck and gently pulled me until our lips met. I had no idea how to kiss, so I stopped much too quickly and apologized. My mouth tingled. His lips had been smooth and hot. He tasted like the wine we had with our meal.

"Tatianna," he said, holding me still with his hand on my neck. "I can never stop thinking about you. You've mesmerized me and engraved yourself into my heart."

My breaths were shaky, as were my hands. Even so, I touched his face. He leaned into my hand and closed his eyes. I pulled away only a moment to remove my glove so he could feel my skin.

"I am the same about you," I said.

He smiled at me. Then we kissed again. He guided me this time, but I caught on and melted into his embrace. Everything felt as though it was burning. A beautiful warmth one would beg for in the middle of a snowy gelid.

As ridiculous and perhaps even childish as it sounded, I knew right then we would get married. I would've waited forever for him if I had to.

Fortunately, I did not have to.

A Princess' Taleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें