Chapter Nine

Edward's frequent disappearances began to feel like a norm. Even Fayre did not seem to mind anymore. We started to spend even more time together whenever Mother didn't need me. Soon enough, we found we didn't notice whenever Edward wasn't around. Part of me felt guilty for this. But that was what he wanted, wasn't it? Otherwise, he'd be around more.

Sometimes, Edward would pull me aside and inform me of all the new and wonderful things he'd discovered. I learned about Queen Anita's past and precisely how the Interlopers had been formed. He told me the leader of the rebellion despised the fact that Anita had magic. The leader believed that to be unfair and a way for Anita to abuse the love her people had for her. When Anita refused to stop using magic, she banned the leader and his followers to what eventually became the Outlands. Their hatred for our family started there. The angels would bless someone in our family whenever they sensed trouble, such as the Interloper War during Queen Beatrice's reign. We seemed to be safe for now, since nobody around us had brown eyes.

I know this sounded strange and unrealistic. I had to bite my tongue to prevent myself from asking him if he wasn't simply writing a novel. At the very most, appreciated him confiding in me about this, yet I worried how much of himself he was losing by being so invested. He hardly cared about his image anymore. He was not concerned about making appearances at important dinners or balls. Our parents were not pleased by this, and I stepped in every time to defend him. I lied and lied and lied for him so they would believe Edward was out to better himself and educate himself on matters to assist me once I became queen. That was what Edward believed himself to be doing by sharing these supposed secrets about Aristol, I felt awful that there was no way to prove this to our parents.

Even so, they chose to believe me. And life went on as normal. I couldn't be distracted by my worries for him, anyway.

Time kept passing. Then, suddenly, it was the eve of our twentieth birthday.

Although I wanted peace to concentrate on projects that my mother had allowed me to lead, I was told I had a visitor.

"This late?" I asked the guard who'd come to retrieve me.

"Yes, Your Highness," she answered, bowing her head. "Shall I tell him to return tomorrow morning?"

I sighed. "He? Who is this, anyway?"

"Prince Philip."

I ran.

Philip and I had occasionally written to each other since he arrived back in Titanas Unitum. I had wondered why he hadn't responded yet. Now I knew.

I nearly slipped a few times on my way down the steps and laughed it off with the guards who'd gone pale in the face. Then I fled past them and roughly halted in front of the drawing room door. Before entering, I ran my fingers through my hair, undoing a few tangles. I thanked the Great Holy Deity I hadn't changed out of my gown and into my nightgown yet.

Finally, I took a deep breath and walked into the room. Philip turned away from the chessboard and grinned upon seeing me. It took every bit of my strength to remain calm. The urge to leap into his arms almost overwhelmed me, though.

"I cannot believe you're here!" I said, closing the space between us.

"It was an impulsive decision. My parents were speechless at first. Then they helped me pack my things, because I told them I wanted to be here on your birthday."

My cheeks ached from how hard I smiled. I couldn't stop, not even if I wanted to. And I didn't want to.

We sat on the cushioned benches and spoke for a while. Or rather, he spoke. I couldn't stop asking him questions about how he'd been, what everyone had thought about his discoveries here, and about anything else that had occurred. He retold stories he'd written to me about, and I listened enthusiastically as if I didn't remember all the details. By the time he finished his fifth story, he apologized for being the only one talking.

"All part of my plan," I teased.

He chuckled and glanced around. "Goddesses, it must be terribly late. I have not even greeted your parents yet. I should go and stay elsewhere until I can properly meet with them—"

"Oh, nonsense! They will not be angry if you sleep here tonight. You are a welcomed guest, Philip." I stood and signaled for him to follow.

We left the drawing room together and walked down the Corridor of Portraits. Although he seemed anxious and out of place, he smiled at me. When we reached the foyer, I gasped when I saw Edward entering the castle.

Edward paused in his step and arched an eyebrow as he glossed over Philip.

"Do you have any idea how late it is, Edward?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Do you?" he shot back, pointing at me while glaring at Philip. "Do our parents know you are here?"

I shook my head. "That is not necessary. I give him permission to stay here tonight and every night he would like to stay."

"You do not authorize that, Anna."

"Yes, I do."

Edward snorted and rolled his eyes. Instead of being sore from joy, my cheeks burned from the fiery building inside.

"What makes you think that?" he then asked.

And as was the situation with my smiles previously, I could not control the words that slipped through my lips. Nor the tone that accompanied.

"I am your future queen, and you will respect my decisions and my guests!" I clenched my jaw.

Beside me, I heard Philip inhale sharply. But I only focused on my brother. Guilt already started to creep in, making me wonder where such a voice had come from. I had never spoken that way to anyone, and I would've never expected Edward to be the first.

Edward's features twisted until he began to snarl at me. It lasted a mere moment, yet it stung more than anything had ever wounded me. Then he laughed and started to move away from us.

"My apologies, Your Majesty," he spat, and he dramatically bowed. When he looked me in the eyes again, he smirked and whispered, "You make the angels cry."

I furrowed my brows and widened my eyes. My pulse quickened, and I worried I'd forgotten how to breathe until Philip touched my arm. I exhaled and faced him as my brother walked away.

"Angels?" Philip asked, blinking slowly.

"I... I am as baffled as you are." I shifted my gaze lower until I was staring at the marble floor. "I... well, I have no idea what he meant by that." Then I smiled up at Philip. "I am sorry you had to witness that. Shall I show you to your bedchamber? You must be exhausted."

Despite the uncertainty on Philip's face, he walked beside me.

It was awful how easy lying became after doing it for so long. I didn't consider myself convincing by any means. Still, nobody ever questioned me further.

The one thing I knew I couldn't lie about was the fact that I had truly lost my brother. That Edward was not my Edward. He hadn't been Edward for so long. That made more than just the angels cry.

It made me cry.